1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The problem with this is we don't know where the unnecessary red tape ends and the necessary safeguards begin.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

if only there were some branch of government that could intervene in a national emergency to fast track important business at our regulatory agencies

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nah ... far better to following standing practice and governmental "norms". Nobody ever got fired for "doing it the way we've always done it."

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My point is if materialistic and muh freedoms Americans were asked today like they were then to not take long road trips, needed ration books to buy groceries and were otherwise told to give up those nice things, our resolve to ease the pressure on those brave Soviets to make it easier for them to win the war wouldn't have happened.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, "materialistic" Americans in 1942 were just coming out of the Depression and were grateful to have their basic needs met. Long trips to Wally World were still a bit in the future for most.

You can only judge a people by its perspective at the time.

7. Spartan Squad

I am judging people by their time. I'm saying people TODAY could not behave like people then. Because, well, turn on the news.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But it's not because we're "lesser" people (which is usually the implication). A sated animal is not as effective a hunter as a starving animal.

9. Spartan Squad

And we've become too sated to effectively sacrifice for the good of the country. There was a time when Americans did what was required of them (even if we went kicking and screaming and needing Pearl Harbor to be bombed first). Today simple things—wear a mask (but I can't breathe!), avoid large crowds (but the economy!), limit your exposure to the outside world (but you can't live in fear!), take this seriously (but the president said it was a hoax that will disappear by Easter), flatten the curve (but you're oppressing me!)—are too much for us. Even when we have a road map from other countries about how to slow this down, we couldn't do it.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The social contracts of living in a society have been shredded by the celebration of individualism and bootstraps and FREEDOM!

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

It'll be ignored because it's utter nonsense. "Tens of thousands" of people are STILL are going untested.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd usually agree with this, but I'm not sure those norms hold any more.

Felt like Jared fired up the G700 and his platinum-plated government checkbook to "source" some PPE without much red tape.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted