1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

shut everything down for real

get it over with

a thread

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Grocery stores? Pharmacies? Banks? Transportation? Post offices? Are "essential" businesses redefined?

If not . . . we did that from late March through the first week of May.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So North Carolina isn't allowing them opened, but Wisconsin, Florida, Arizona, Texas and others did. And with a muddied message, it's no wonder people gather together. For a president who loves winning, this could have been a winning, patriotic moment. But well we know how it turned out.

As for the New York is out pacing everyone. New York got a head start and is still adding to it's total. The southern states sprinting now wasn't going to immediately overcome the lead. But the south had the benefit of New York's pain. Treatments are better. We're doing better with older people. So thank you for your service New York!

But seriously. We don't take this seriously and pretend like we're overblowing this, the virus will stick around. We're a nation of instant gratification and you can't tell me no. We love posting on Facebook our support but want to move on to the next thing. Imagine if we took the same attitude for World War II. We may have given up too soon and never become a global superpower forging such innovations as the personal computer and the iPhone, but our communist overlords would have gotten this virus under control.

OscarMadison, SFIND and maumann like this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I suspect it's a lot like Florida. Some people are trying and staying apart and wearing the masks, but too many people aren't and this s*** just keeps spreading.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They're peas in a pod. Dumbass Trumpist governors and ignorant "You cain't tell me what to do with Muh Freedom!" citizens. He's down closer to the worst of Texas (outside of Houston anyhow) as well.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Bexar County is just covered up with that type. [/jeez]

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. doctorquant

I dunno ... maybe social-distancing, mask-wearing, etc.? That's what I've been doing for months (and everybody I can think of in my circle of family/friends). I haven't been doing the quoting-Twitter thing, and I can't help but be a stickler for how statistics are interpreted ... how much blood is on my hands because of those shortcomings of mine?

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Did you watch the video they're Patriots DIDN'T YOU SEE THE FLAG!?!?!!!

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. doctorquant

One other thing ... I think "the country" might be better off if the frigging FDA would get the hell out of the way. Because it and its risk-aversion -- from insisting on developing initial tests in-house to dragging its feet on pooled testing (and now rapid testing) -- it is hard to avoid the conclusion that it has hurt far more than it has helped.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think they are "allowed," but these places are responding based on how their communities are doing. Might be open in a rural county 1oo miles away. I don't know. Maybe some decided there's little to be gained from indoor dining, and they get to save money on cleaning, trash pickup, etc.. Fast food like this is not much of an indoor dining experience, anyway.

The "country" didn't sacrifice all that much (limited driving, oh my!) and benefitted greatly (jobs galore! followed by immense prosperity), especially when it got to pick up the pieces of a ruined Europe and rule the roost afterward. A bunch of soldiers sacrificed . . . "over there."

The "reward" for any sacrifice today is back to the status quo of last February. Oh, boy! I get to go to an NFL game in person. Ugh.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted