1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food Network

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Jul 24, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I walk and talk like a field hand
    But the boots I'm wearing cost three grand
    I write songs about riding tractors
    From the comfort of a private jet

I could sing in Mandarin
    You'd still know I'm pandering
    Hunting deer, chasing trout
    A Bud Light with the logo facing out

Hear that subtle mandolin
    That's textbook pandering
    I own a private ranch that I rarely use
    (I don't like dirt)

2. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'll sit through pretty much anything on the Food Network, it's a good background noise channel. Worst Cooks in America is probably one of the worst things on tv.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  3. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

I agree with the background noise. I can be doing something all day for work, and have Triple D on in the background for a good 8-10 hours.

4. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

I don’t know what “boot camp” consists of, but I agree. If your level of kitchen expertise is opening a can of soup, the first time you try to break down a chicken you’re probably drawing blood and the bird looks like it was run over by a couple of semis on the interstate.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs W. said she read an interview with him and he say that he never says a bad word even if he doesn’t like the food, but you can tell. So we’ve noticed that he’ll say things like “I love the way you use a bun on that burger” or “that really fills you up”

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Foo
    i don’t know why, but she does it for me.

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Ever since the quarantining started, Alton Brown has been doing Quarantine Kitchen, a live YouTube show from their loft outside Atlanta for an hour-plus each Tuesday around 7:00.

Best way to describe it: You know how Bob Saget in real life is the antithesis of Danny Tanner? This is the antithesis of the Good Eats Alton -- a filthy old bastard in real life.

The best part is the bickering back and forth with his wife, Elizabeth. Especially the time when she waterboarded him with Ouzo.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That was a good takedown.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Love Food Network. Not as much as I used to but will still watch from time to time.

I am not a big fan of most of Ree Drummond's recipes. I've gotten better versions of most of them from old church cookbooks. But almost everyone I know who has met her (almost) has said she's a wonderful person and incredibly nice. It's tough to get her to do an interview with us (I'm at the Tulsa World, for those who don't know, which is pretty close to Pawhuska), but I think she really just doesn't like doing interviews, and I think there may be a backstory there from a while back. And there's no denying she's done a TON for Pawhuska and the surrounding communities.

There's some great food stuff on Netflix now. Some cheesy competition stuff, but the best is The Chef Show with Jon Favreau and Roy Choi and Ugly Delicious with David Chang. I really enjoy those and a few others.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ate at Gato once, watching all the pretty people at the bar. The food was fantastic.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Flay and his daughter Sophie, who I think works in TV in LA now, did a six-show series about a year ago called The Flay List. Each week they'd have one item - burgers, tacos, pizza, lobster rolls, steak and I can't remember the sixth - and they'd go to his favorite place in NYC and her favorite place in NYC. They'd toss in a dessert or some other stop along the way most weeks.

I really enjoyed it. I've been to about half the places they suggested and hope to make the other half if things get back to normal.

I've heard everything about Flay - great guy, aloof, prick, you name it. I think he shows a pretty good personality for the shows he does. I'd love to have a burger and a beer with him. The faces he makes when a judge on BBF dings one of his dishes are priceless.

(I hit the Googles, fried chicken was the sixth one)

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/the-flay-list/episodes

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Every personality on Food Network has their place.

DDD promotes so well and makes you want to try new places.

Flay is just the best cook. Guarnaschelli Is right there with him.

Some of the chefs on Chopped do such a good job of explaining why something is good and are great at being compassionate when it’s not.

Brown is great at making you think that you can become so much better in the kitchen by understanding what you are doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted