1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 24, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Manfred’s threat is as much about making the players look horrible after their whining all spring. “Hey guys, we’re trying to make this work — and you have stood in the way of coming back the entire time.” He could pull the plug, but I suspect this is more of a power play.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Rumors brewing that the Commissioner has sent word to the networks to consider alternative programming Monday. It's been fun but it's about to be short-circuited.

EDIT: Trevor Plouffe tweets he's heard another four Cardinals players have tested positive. Would assume that entire series is in jeopardy.

Abandon ship. Historians will have a field day looking back at the complete disarray that winds up being a 10-game major league baseball season in 2020. The finger pointing may go on until infinity.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I get the sense the union isn’t taking this seriously enough.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The players want to play and most of them want the money(me too). And many of them need the money The Union is good at looking out for their financial interests, but has generally been terrible in everything else. Steroids and PEDs were as much a union problem as the commissioner’s problem. They balked at testing and punishment even though it was a serious health matter for the players. The Union backs the minority of players who cheat. They back the guys that throw at heads

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Manfred: ONE MORE POSITIVE TEST AND YOU'RE DONE, MISTER! DON'T TRY ME, I'M SERIOUS THIS TIME! I MEAN IT!

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Lots of players have young children. What happens when those kids pick up the virus at school and give it to their Dads, like say, during the World Series? Not that it'll ever get that far.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

DON'T YOU GIVE ME THAT LOOK! I WILL TURN THIS SEASON RIGHT AROUND AND HEAD BACK TO SPRING TRAINING!

Donny in his element and Huggy like this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Y’know, if they had actually gone full bubble at the spring training sites …

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Time to pull the plug.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The Angels (2-6) are hoping Manfred shuts it down.

mpcincal, HanSenSE, MTM and 1 other person like this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If (when) they shut down, do the players still get their year of service time?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, horrible start. Though it sounded like they took it quite seriously. The announcers last week in Oakland were saying how when they are on the road, they all decided they will stay at the hotel, period when not at the stadium. Guessing there was a lot of pressure put on the team because of Trout's situation and the fact he almost opted out.

Draft saved Draft deleted