1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's great, but it's not what happens IN the ballpark that's gonna determine how much the virus affects the Dodgers. I'm not talking just partying. LA's a hotspot. Running errands for your family could result in infection. Tipping a valet parker could do it.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Marlins need to drop out.

It will be like those 1873-type standings where one city has played 75 games and another rinky-dink town has played nine.

Fuck them, let them sit it out. And let it be remembered as another thing Jeter couldn't manage.

Who has less charisma than many of the stadium cutouts.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly wrapped up like a douche.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

At least the cutouts don't make you leave your phone at the door.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just a typical season. Angels-Astros have taken 2 hours to play 4 innings.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kind of like in the last season of the original ABA, when San Diego and Utah went belly-up in the midst of the season and Baltimore never got started.

maumann likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Marlins should not get a dime in revenue sharing or national TV money this year.

If MLB does not meet its obligations for its TV partners, the league should sue Jeter and the other partners for any revenue they have to return to/don’t get from ESPN/Fox/Turner.

Yes, I know it’ll never happen.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Every team has some 28- to 30-year-old Triple-A lifers hanging on in their systems. Assemble some of those, put them in place of the Marlins and give them a shot at the show. They might actually be better.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a problem with this, or even just make them sit out two weeks to recover and then jump back in, but if you do kick them out, you have an odd number of teams -- which means every day someone would have to sit. Under a normal schedule you could probably get away with it but since it is already East Division condensed you'd have the Braves, Mets and Nationals all at 50 games, the Phillies at 57 -- assuming they make up their Yankees games -- and the whole AL East would be anywhere from 55-56.

I guess you could just say tough shit and plow ahead but you really need a partner to bow out as well.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I would make the Marlins nut up at the end of the year and play makeup tripleheaders until they run out of games that matter.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the MLB should just adopt a "Last Team Standing" format this year. I do wonder if the season survives into September. Players and staff will get complacent.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Della-

The NFL made it work with 31 teams - a prime number, no less - for a few years.

I don't know what the answers are but the Marlins have really done everything to exempt themselves.

And I hate sounding like that guy - but it ain't fair to dudes/teams who have their shit together to be going through this because of them.

maumann and wicked like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted