1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concert that exceeded your expectations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Jul 21, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Along those lines, took my wife to see Vince Gill for her birthday many years ago. He was very good and very aware that the men in the audience were largely there because they were making their wives/girlfriends happy.

exmediahack and expendable like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Two come to mind:

1. Dawes. I always liked their music and decided on a whim to pick up a last-second ticket to see them at The National in Richmond on a Sunday night. No opener, they played two full sets, and they shredded. I expected to like the show but not that much. They were awesome.

2. Har Mar Superstar. Had never heard of this artist, but I got free tickets to see the Afghan Whigs on a Monday night at The National and Har Mar was the opener. Seriously charismatic dude with some interesting songs, he came down and just walked through the crowd singing. Certainly exceeded expectations because I had none, ha.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

There have been a couple of times when I enjoyed the warmup band more than the headliner. Phil Vassar opening for Alan Jackson is one.

And other times where I didn't give a shit about the warmup band but ended up really liking it. Todd Rundgren and Utopia opened for Tina Turner. He was awesome playing drums. The kit was mounted on this small, round stage and he was sitting on what looked like a motorcycle. The stage spun around when he played, pretty fast. I saw Toto once and I can't remember who they opened for. Great group.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Panic! At the disco. Took the kid, twice. It wasn't half bad.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

My wife and I went and saw Chris Young and LANco stole the show. They were great openers. We became fans and then they opened for Luke Combs and that was quite a show.

Chainsmokers I went for my wife, bought the tickets...but I actually enjoyed the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted