1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Regis Philbin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Regis used to make appearances on CNBC’s Fast Money, of all things, talking about playing the market

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I was a huge Letterman fan going back to the NBC Late Night days. Sometimes when Dave would go out and do his great remote pieces or weird phone calls, he'd introduce himself as Regis. Regis, I don't think, was really a nationally known figure then. the Live show wasn't on in the Midwest, anyway, and I was in junior high school. For some reason, though I found that to be funny and then it became even funnier when I finally got the joke.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

People knew who Regis was. He'd had his own national late night show as early as 1964, and was Joey Bishop's sidekick beginning in 1967.

Regis was a punchline, and synonymous with failure, before Dave ever got to him.

(He'd been locally successful all along.)

That's why his "comeback" on Live! and Millionaire was kind of sweet and unexpected.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It sucks that old people die, for sure.

My grandmother told me not to cry when she crossed the river at 94 - I did anyway.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I had no idea that de Havilland went to Mills College in Oakland.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Loved his cameo on Seinfeld when Kramer was doing the talk show circuit to promote his coffee table book about coffee tables.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Like, whole news rooms did it, too...I remember us doing that, and us wondering at ourselves and how practically addicted we admitted we were to the show. "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" was like a genuine cult hit at the time it came out, and for the first season or two that it aired.

wicked and Baron Scicluna like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The movie about the British Millionaire scandal was pretty good "Quiz" - I think it ran on AMC. Really good insight on what made the show tick.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Kornheiser and Wilbon talked yesterday about what a fan, mentor and influence Reeg was for the show

Draft saved Draft deleted