1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Grade Would You Give Americans in Handling the COVID-19 Crisis?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 16, 2020.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, the numbers show the average American has failed to take this seriously enough. That starts at the top, obviously, but the average American has failed miserably at this test.

This thing could have been taken care of in a fucking MONTH if the average American simply stayed the fuck home, wore the damn masks and didn't post on social media about how the "the media isn't telling you this is no worse than your average flu and it's going to magically disappear very, very soon."

Instead, we're five months in, we've already wasted two months of lockdown, and somehow things are getting worse. Why? Because the idiot at the top has convinced MILLIONS of people that his ample fucking gut is more accurate than actual scientific experts and research.

FUCK the President. He's got more American blood on his hands than Osama Bin Laden* ever fucking dreamed.

*I specifically mention Bin Laden because 9/11 is what made all this possible because conservatives are the biggest pussies on Earth and got scared into believing an authoritarian, fake-ass strongman could protect them from the browns.

Cosmo, swingline, outofplace and 8 others like this.
  2. I'm pleasantly surprised by the conservative community I live in. We have been wearing masks for months now, and I have seen very few situations where people weren't. Even so, most schools in my state will be virtual in the fall -- and that's one of the many failures in this process.

Some (most?) students in this country may go a full calendar year without being in a physical classroom.

I told my buddy in June that whether we would have school or not in the fall was entirely dependent upon the behavior of the community. Wasn't good enough.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I understand the sentiment against Trump, but I don't think he convinced anybody of anything. Millions of people made up their own minds not to worry too much about this, or else just weren't sure how much they should do so, and went the wrong way. They decided not to wear masks, not to social-distance, etc. In other words, they were stupid. The fact of the matter is, people really are stupid if, at a certain point, they can't think for themselves and make up their own minds about things.

We have a lot of people in this country -- a lot of smart people. But also, a lot of stupid people, too. We need a vaccine. That's all there is to it.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He did two things: One convince certain governors to not take the same measures as other states that needed to "be liberated." And two not work against the sentiments you talk about. That isn't even going into the lack of guidance and coordination from the federal government to get supplies and free up manufacturing to meet the need. For sure we have plenty of stupid running around, but he did jack to mitigate some of the stupid.

And yes, we need a vaccine. We also need a president who will tell people this is in their best interest to take it rather than encouraging conspiracy theories.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can agree with that last sentence in particular.

I just meant that I've kind of seen Trump as persona non gratus in all this -- it's horrible that he has been so, and the total abdication of leadership by him has become more and more pronounced as time has gone on. But I don't still don't think he, himself, said or did much to convince anybody of anything. I think anybody who's a governor ought to be able to make a decision -- any decision -- on his or her own, regardless of what Trump says or does, and I think that's what happened.

It's kind of a take on my constant refrain that, ultimately, people are responsible for themselves and what they do.

6. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

F isn’t low enough.

Z-minus.

7. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

D-

Lots of lazy and stupid Americans with an attitude like, “Someone else can help, but not me.” Obviously it hasn’t helped that we have no leadership at various levels of government.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You're right it isn't just Trump but Trump didn't do is any favors. His rhetoric early on of this being a bad flu, it will go away, this is a hoax by China or the Democrats was repeated by quite a few people to justify their behavior

Now the morans with guns who protested at the capitols probably didn't get any ideas from Trump, but they certainly got an ally after the fact. Your theory probably explains more of it, but my point is Trump sure gave it life.

We often give credit and blame to a president too much and putting the general attitude of morans completely at his feet is probably too much. He just isn't completely blameless in all of this either.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

An F means you did nothing. You didn’t try at all.

A large portion of America is trying, but our POTUS and at a large portion of governors and local gov are doing, it seems, all they can do to fuck this up.

Solid D.

New Zealand is the A+ kid.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

F.

There is NO plan.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think you were clear the first time.

Probably a C, C- or so. B+, B in March and April and May.

Our nation is in a tough spot right now though. Very politicized environment.

Draft saved Draft deleted