1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock out at Fox Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Eh, yes and no. There’s some inklings there. I inherently balk at aired grievance about persecution for Christian faith though. (This was common at PromiseKeepers rallies.) It’s to be expected.

And the culture critiques have a limit. If he’s really down for it, Maya Moore should be a column real soon. Because that’s Christian.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The buffet goes both ways, honestly. The “Jesus is a good guy who will help you and me get rich” is an offshoot, that’s where teleevangelists hang out. So is “Jesus is a magical Marxist who’s checks off on every aspect of the progressive political platform” is another.

But, yes, the tough guy Jesus is one issue.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Alma, do you believe the Lord was brown-skinned?

4. stix

stix Well-Known Member

This is a common problem among a lot of columnists these days, not just Whitlock.

Yes, I realize these are columns, but what happened to actually talking to other people? I tire of the "listen to me" line of "journalism." It isn't journalism, really. It's become lazy and self-important.

What's the difference between columns like the ones Whitlock writes and a long Facebook post? It's just another person telling you what he/she thinks. There's already too much of that.

Liut likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

so it's a facebook post about a tweet

cool

7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Essentially, yes.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

These columns are written all the time and published all the time and celebrated by lots of progressives so long as the correct politics are expressed in them.

Heck yes I think columns should have more context to them than "I think" and it's one of Whitlock's biggest weaknesses.

But it's the weakness of a lot of columns and essays. It is a weakness that can easily be pointed out when it's the wrong politics. It is not a weakness that can not so easily be pointed out when it's the correct politics.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Patchen likes this.
  10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

OK.

But when did I point out politics? I don’t like the column because it’s a bad column.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You didn't point out politics. I did.

I thought Whitlock's column was a meh, too, FWIW. But for the same reason you did.

stix likes this.
  12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

But is that really what Whitlock would want? To be compared to Keyboard McGee writing a column or writing a boring pass the time column. No. He thinks he is something special, but the hard truth is...he's nothing special as a journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted