1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Op-Ed Sections, Threat or Menace?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Can I get the tl;dr on why people are shitting a brick over this woman?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Donald Trump Jr., Ted Cruz, and other top Republicans praise New York Times editor Bari Weiss' resignation letter slamming the paper

Sen. Ted Cruz, a conservative Republican from Texas, encouraged his Twitter followers to read what he called an "eloquent, profound, incisive—and true—letter," adding that "sadly, there are no liberals anymore."

"They've been replaced by authoritarian statists demanding complete uniformity & subservient obedience to government," Cruz tweeted. "No free speech. No civil liberties. Just totalitarian tyranny."

Donald Trump Jr. echoed the lawmakers' sentiment in his own tweet: "NYT editor @bariweiss resigns in STUNNING fashion & exposes the Times' rampant attacks on anyone who breaks from the far-left narrative."

Meghan McCain, the daughter of former Sen. John McCain and a conservative commentator, called Weiss "a true original" and "a fearless thinker" in a tweet describing her exit from the Times as "another nail in the coffin for diversity of thought in mainstream media."

3. Songbird

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Honestly? Because it's an ideological battleground now. Bennet's canceling, which is, in essence, what it was, struck some people wrong. So did a few other things. This board doesn’t generally buy it, but then it wouldnt; by and large the posters here like left politics, and thus see no issue with that embrace or the character assassination that comes to those who disagree.

I'm not sure why Weiss' angle is here, exactly, but that letter was pretty pointed. These are fairly harsh accusations:

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Liut and Severian like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is all a grift. Weiss and Sullivan will launch some new project soon financed by some high-tech vampire fascist richo. They NEED to appear persecuted. Living for a better job just doesn't have the same ring to it. BTW, in her tenure at the Times. Weiss published roughly one column every two weeks. Nice work if you can get it. Leaves plenty of time for being the office dipshit.

2muchcoffeeman and FileNotFound like this.
  6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Looks the "Real Time with Bill Maher" All-Stars.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Victimhood is how people on the right thrive. They play up being targets of "cancel culture" and "the radical left" to rally people, many of whom also feel "victimized" by these invisible forces. It boggles the mind how these people call others snowflakes when they are the biggest snowflakes of all.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My favorite is always the "persecuted Christians" in America who claim the media, liberals, Twitter, etc. are trampling all over their "religious freedom."

Talk to Christians who risk their lives to worship in, say, Syria and ask them how persecuted we Americans are ...

tapintoamerica likes this.
  9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Or you could believe her. Why not believe her?

10. Songbird

Yeah, there's someone (or two or three) in Vermont employing that strategy.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Next the lucrative speaking tour - on which she speaks at length about how she's being prevented from speaking.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We’ll just have to see if she produces evidence of the slack bullying. My hunch is she won’t.

We’ll see, too, if her letter prompts colleagues who may have supported her to say more, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted