1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington [racial slurs] name change/local high schools

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by superhater, Jul 12, 2020.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

We have a Catholic school nicknamed Crusaders. :confused:

The Redskins changed their name maybe 10 years ago, but there's still Braves and Chiefs in the area. I wonder if they'd say it's a cultural link to the Indigenous tribe which inspired (or possibly created) names of towns, bodies of water, and schools.

Is Vikings a problem? The mascot wears a cheesy horned helmet and a beard exactly like the Minnesota NFL team.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Now you've stepped over the line. My high school is the Vikings. We didn't rape or pillage anyone (we did kick the crap out of Redondo and South Torrance in football). In fact, our mascots were Victor and Vicky Viking. Vicky debuted the bra-shaped brass breastplate. That was a big hit.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I just thought of a cool solution. A ton of high schools have "Indians" as mascot. Just change the mascot of ALL the schools named "Indians" with "Heroes" and leave the logo for now if it's too expensive to change. It could be a national movement. If not heroes, which I think is perfect, the "ThankYous." that would spark discussion, thanking Native Americans. MLB. The Cleveland Heroes isn't bad even. Instead of the Rock Island High Indians, the Rock Island High ThankYous. Or instead of the Dayton High Indians, the Dayton High Heroes or the Dayton High Thank-Yous.
    Leaving the logo would keep Native Americans in the realm of society. Our goal is not to make the Indians go away, but to thank them and give them reparations after the next election.

5. Fredrick

Keep us posted. It's a new era. Things have changed just like THAT. I would think that school 100 percent will change its nickname soon.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Tewksbury (Mass.) Redmen don’t see what the big deal is.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My hometown (Oak Ridge, Tenn.), birthplace of the atomic bomb, has one high school, founded in 1943.

An absolutely perfect chance for a unique (for that time) nickname like Atoms or Isotopes or something with a nuclear theme.

What are we called? Wildcats, because the school's founder was a University of Kentucky fan. :mad:

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In Oklahoma, a third of every school's mascot is a variation of one of those Native American names.

9. superhater

superhater Member

About three years ago, we did something on one of our two local schools that still has an Indian-head mascot (one Warriors, one Braves) potentially transitioning away from that logo to a more generic Warrior — and people in that town lost their damn minds. Should be fun when we bring it up again this week.

10. Fredrick

Again, let us know what happens. I think this is different. The cancel culture has scared everybody out of their minds this time. Even that crazy Redskins owner has been quiet and realizes he had to quickly change the team name. Nobody will vocally be for keeping a name that is racist toward Native Americans. Heaven help that person who speaks up for the racist name this time.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, speaking up for racism is always a good move.

tonygunk likes this.
  12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Peoria's Midwest League affiliate is the Chiefs. Instead of changing then nickname, they put a dog in a fireman's helmet for the logo and said 'yep, that'll do.'

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted