1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawley and Woj

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 10, 2020.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Hawley is also the senator of a state that has lost TWO of the league's franchises and hasn't had an NBA presence since 1985. The last paid basketball team to play in his state was the 1988-89 Mizzou Tigers.

This is exactly why I don't reply to the haters/trolls anymore. If someone actually picks up a phone, calls me and leaves me a nasty message, I'll actually call them back -- after I look up their address, their past, their criminal history -- and, if necessary, I'll sprinkle it into the conversation, lightly. But nothing in writing.

The best part is hearing their voice, shocked AF that I called them back.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Hawley must be bitter that the Spirits of St. Louis weren't around to be incorporated into the NBA merger. But I think their owners received NBA licensing royalties until recently.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If I got a call I'd listen. When they stopped I'd ask, "OK, is that it?" Usually they'd mumble, "Yeah." and I would say, "Thanks." and then hang up.

No engagement. Just listen. If they started in with "Fuck you" or "You're a piece of shit" or something, I'd just hang up. I'll take some bitching or berating but I don't have to put up with that.

What Woj did was unprofessional by any stretch of the imagination. Not good, not professional, not anything that should be done as a representative of his (or any) company. And now he created a story and a headache for ESPN, which should suspend him at the least, all because of his ego.

JosephDHippolito likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Hawley is dangerous. He's making his Trump bonafides now in preparation for a presidential run in 2024. His duplicitous behavior will only increase in the next few years.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The best is when they e-mail and you write back. “I never thought you’d respond!”

The more assholery they displayed, the more kindness I’d kill them with. Usually worked.

Vombatus, bpoindexter and HanSenSE like this.
  6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Hawley is a grandstander already eyeing his presidential bid. He was going to poke any bear until he got a response. Woj gave him what he wanted.
    That being said, still completely unprofessional by Woj.

exmediahack, RonClements and wicked like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The NBA’s desicion to allow sociopolitical statements was bound to prompt something like this, but I’m not sure what the NBA would be finishing its season without that concession.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Wojnarowski should have hit an immediate delete on Hawley's email, but I dont think he owed any apology and I'm disappointed ESPN made him do it.

There is no group of people in North America doing a worse job than politicians. America's leadership is a joke, and while you enviously slobber all over Trudeau, he's embroiled in something right now that might end his reign. In addition, his government voted last month to extend an emergency payment of $600 towards people with disabilities. The two minority parties blocked it, because it didn't go far enough. Fine. But instead of fixing the problem, they all went on summer holiday, screwing EVERYONE with a disability.

Seriously, they're all terrible.

So this guy decides to grandstand over China. As far as I'm concerned, Woj said what everyone is thinking.

9. This is the kind of thing that's embarrassing for Woj for a 24-hour cycle, but it'll be the stuff of legend -- especially among his most ardent followers, NBA fans who do not support Hawley/Trump -- as time wears on.

superhater likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's what I would do when I'd get the bitchy letters about lack of JV soccer coverage. Start it with "Thank you for writing."

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Dumb thing for Woj to do. Not even close to fireable unless you're someone who brings absolutely no value to the company. That ain't Woj.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted