1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Charlie Daniels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 6, 2020.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't know. Ask Jackson Browne. Then ask Darryl Hannah.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I listen to and turn up Charlie Daniels and Ted Nugent when they come on the radio. I regularly watch YouTube videos of both.
    I have in the past enriched both by purchasing their albums.
    I would not give them my money today for a live show knowing they'd spend half the night giving me their opinions. I'll stay home and watch videos.
    That's where I draw the line.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One of the most overtly political songs I can think of is "Ohio" by CSNY. They could change the words to something disparaging a politician I like and I'd still think that was one of the coolest sounding tunes ever.

And it is great that Jason Isbell has justifiably earned the level of success where he can write whatever he wants, lose the support of stupid Trumpists and remain atop the charts.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I still think James Woods kills it in most of the things he does, will watch pretty much anything Eastwood is involved with, respect the hell out of what Gary Sinese does on screen and off and James Caan is an all-timer - whatever they support, whomever they support - they deliver the goods when I ask for them on the screen. What they do on their own time - is their time.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Having life responsibilities can drive one to the edge at times, but I'd say he went nuts on his ownself.

6. Machine Head

Whomever is running his Twitter is still tweeting about Benghazi, 9/11 etc.

That's fucked.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Machine Head

Love this song, but I've always had questions.

He's asking for Trudy's help, right?

He's worried about John B Walker and the woman he left behind, going off memory.

Wouldn't Trudy wonder about the other woman and tell Charlie to go pound sand? If he's cheating on her, why would Trudy help him?

I need to look the lyrics up.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Same, but change the proper nouns to Bruce Springsteen.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I always assumed Trudy IS the girl he left behind -- he was headed back to her in Louisiana.

And it's Johnny Lee Walker.

Machine Head likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You ever go back to the MAGA swamp, don’t go on a Friday night.

11. Machine Head

I seem to recall that in the song Charlie expresses his admiration for the way Grant took Richmond. Compares himself to Grant, I believe.

Pretty cool that back in the 70s Charlie took that stance.

Edit: Looked up the lyrics, Charlie did meet a "peroxide blonde" that Friday night. I remain confused.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I guess compared to yours, my line's pretty low...if they exhibit behaviour I don't agree with, it makes it impossible for me to love their artistic works.

About the closest example I can offer is Morrissey. Although I was never a huge fan of The Smiths or particularly Moz's solo work, I wouldn't turn the station when it came on and I'd probably go see him in concert if given the chance...until he went all-in on the anti-immigration bigotry. Now? When "Girlfriend in a Coma" comes on (like it does every 3 hours), my finger turns off Sirius First Wave faster than you can say "Everyday's Like Sunday."

FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted