1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe what I was watching when I saw that.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It funny in an adorable way that you think Stephen Jackson’s reputation will be harmed in the slightest. That DeSean Jackson hasn’t been given the John Rocker is 100% understandable. Athletes are given wide latitude to comment on social and political issues. When they agree with popular liberal consensus they are hailed as great and learned men. When they say racist or bigoted things they are dismissed as dumb jocks and as soon as their 40 time diminishes by 0.2 they will be history, without comment. Exceptions are made for inconsistency for guys like Pop, Kerr and LeBron. China is hard, as in currency. The media and sports industry need China so it’s understandable they caved under the slightest pressure to save their phony bologna jobs.

By Monday, no one in the sports community will care that Stephen Jackson is a virulent anti-Semite and bigot. He will say something profound, like Donald Trump is a racist, and will be right back in front of a ‘virtual’ gaggle of reporters espousing the common refrain of the day.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen Stephen Jackson's comments when I posted earlier. DeShaun Jackson might just be an idiot. Maybe he really didn't understand what he was writing about. Now Stephen Jackson is defending him by saying it was the truth? Does that means he actually does believe that Jewish Americans are involved in some conspiracy against African Americans? WTF?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thought you might have misinterpreted, OOP.

To me, Stephen Jackson was - along with Ron Artest - one of the instigators of the Malice in the Palace some years back. Then he plays the rest of his NBA career ... then becomes a public face in the aftermath of George Floyd's death. Hence what I said before.

DeSean Jackson has been a spoiled brat since his days at Berkeley. ESPN The Magazine tried one of its athletes apologists pieces on him during his college days. He has not matured out of his problems.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Stephen Jackson doubled down on it today. Yes, that's exactly what he means.

8. outofplace

I haven't seen that. I've just seen him claiming that people in general don't want African Americans to educate themselves. That is one thing. Specifically blaming Jewish people is another.

9. heyabbott

Of course it does. Leaders who are African American have demonstrated strident anti-Semitism for decades. W.E.B. DuBois. Jesse Jackson. Al Sharpton Barbra Lee. Keith Ellison

the recent Crown Heights and Jersey City attacks within the last 12 months.

it’s easy for Maxine Waters to say the Holocaust was bad but she’s been aligned with Farrakhan before.
    How we talk about African-American antisemitism matters - Jewish Ledger

10. outofplace

You missed this part of the article you linked.

Generalizing about blacks and antisemitism is a mistake.

11. heyabbott

Of course it does. Leaders who are African American have demonstrated strident anti-Semitism for decades. W.E.B. DuBois. Jesse Jackson. Al Sharpton
    How we talk about African-American antisemitism matters - Jewish Ledger

Didn’t miss it. It’s important to note. My point was African American leaders, not a generality about African Americans.

when you get to the political leaders, from county council to state reps to congress and party officials; white, black Hispanic or Martian, they play to the core, the lowest common denominator. Trump is the absolute worst in history. But African American leaders, like their right, left and religious counterparts don’t lead from the front. They yell encouragement from the back.

But leaders matter. Jesse won primaries. Sharpton won national support. Ellison and Lee represent large constituencies. And they’ve consistently been avid Anti-Semites.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He went all-in with the Nation of Islam "Rothchilds own the banks" anti-semite stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted