1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just like the others we've seen, the privilege and condescension (simply because of skin color, well other privileged upbringing traits as well) just drips off the dude. "Yeah, get the f*ck out" that works pretty nicely. Love how the waitress tells him to get his his a** out.

As for outing him and his company, that's what you get. Watch he'll come back with a retort like "I'm not a racist, look at all the Asian friends I have." See ya and watch your company go into the toilet.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And here’s another one, armed.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Without white supremacy, Colin, you are NOTHING."

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm going to pretend to be Kaepernick for a sec okay (ducking)?

This guy makes some valid points but they deflect from the primary message that Kaepernick made about police brutality (not the one about white supremacy).

That message was valid when he was kneeling and remains valid today. As I said before, Kaep was not attempting to be the spokesperson for that issue nor was he trying to articulate that message (which was my criticism of him), but he WAS trying to bring attention to the issue. He's a legitimate symbol because he did sacrifice tremendously for his efforts, he jeopardized his career (short life span) for making taking his stand (as borne out by Goodell's latest statement).

Lastly, just because people benefit from a system in place doesn't mean they can't raise issues or make criticisms. We are all entitled to our views regardless of what benefits we manage to reap. I'll use the example of what I saw; my grandmothers worked as seamstresses in the US, making much less than minimum wage (even for that time) sewing dresses that Yves Saint Laurent, Versace, etc. sold for thousands of dollars. Yes they made some money, much more than in China, but does that mean they weren't exploited? That they don't have the ability raise concerns? No. On that level, this guy's take is wrong.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Quite a day for DeSean and Stephen Jackson.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sweet Jesus, that was bad. I don't really have any level of expectation for DeSean Jackson but to see that level of stupid from Stephen Jackson kind of shocked me.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Stephen Jackson undid a lot of goodwill he generated in the George Floyd aftermath. A lot.

As for DeSean Jackson, guess his 40 time is the only reason Howie Roseman and Jeffrey Lurie haven't already sent him packing. Of course, they could still do so.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I can’t believe anyone who saw the noose hanging in Wallace’s spot thinks the guy who found it should be apologizing.

Spartan Squad, garrow and qtlaw like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not the only one who noticed that the same NFL players who ripped Drew Brees had very little to say about DeSean Jackson. To be clear, I'm not defending Brees. I'm not even surprised that other NFL players have been silent about Jackson. It's just disappointing.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/ex-giant-not-surprised-by-nfl-players-silence-over-desean-jackson/

The quote Jackson used was offensive. The support of Farrakhan just adds context, but I doubt African Americans would be as tolerant of a white player standing by a prominent figure who had said the type of things about black people that Farrakhan has said about Jews.

I remember at my first stop, I worked with a photographer who was African American. Because he was the new guy, he got many of the weekend assignments. One Saturday he showed up at the office wearing a t-shirt with Farrakhan's image on the front. I was offended, but I was told to ignore him. When I tried to explain my issue with Farrakhan, I was shushed by one of the assistant news editors. I thought he was kidding and kept going, which made the editor just get angrier with me. I came to realize half of the office was afraid of this photographer because he had a habit of going to HR and crying racism. Never mind that he was the one wearing the image of a hateful bigot in the office.

The Jackson situation brings that to mind. His bosses, the owner and the general manager, are both Jewish. It has me wondering if they care more about what Jackson can do on the field than what he writes and says off it or if they don't feel like they can hold him accountable.

cyclingwriter2 and lakefront like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted