1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’m cynical enough to think plenty of P-5 schools will play football but not have on-campus classes; the traditional link between the two was severed years ago. $$$

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I too enjoy NAIA football — have seen some very entertaining games in the Frontier Conference the past three seasons (full disclosure: My son plays for Carroll College).

Even with a slimmed down, conference-only schedule, not sure how they're going to play at that level with: 1. the health risks of COVID, and 2. the financial impacts of fewer games and fans in the stands. It's not like the smaller colleges have giant TV contracts.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I agree - good football. It was really good high school ball cranked up a notch.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It didn’t have to happen. But SEC governors, more interested in appeasing Trump than protecting their citizens, ignored advice and forged ahead.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There was a graphic out the other day that showed that the only states in which coronavirus cases were falling were Vermont and Massachusetts. Which means the only FBS schools that could play football under the guise of the idea that they must be in states where cases were falling were BC and UMass. So let's just run a 12-game season, five games in Chesnut Hill, five in Amherst, two in Foxborough just for shits and giggles, and complete it with a BC-UMass bowl game in Cape Cod.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That former AD came to ECU from Western Carolina (with a stop somewhere in between). Who sees Western Carolina athletics on a resume and thinks, “Mmmmmm, gotta get me some of that?” Apparently, someone at ECU wanted a better marching band.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Northern Illinois.

expendable likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ivy League cancels football and all other fall sports in 2020.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Domino effect TBD. Interesting thing: I don’t think the Ivy League allows players five years to play four. Maybe they have changed. If that’s the case, a lot of athletes have played their last game.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they do.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted