1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He’s 71 years old. Can’t blame him for skipping it if he thinks it’s a bad idea.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh sure, but it's his entire team. Can they even fill a 16-car bracket without the JFR four?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Was Amato the one who had the paving contract for all the airports? Kalitta had that air freight company. A lot of those guys are/were rich af.
    I loved some Eddie and Ercie Hill.

Access in the NHRA was much, much better than anywhere else. Back when papers had money, I used to go to the race before they came to the track south of Richmond to load up on features. Almost always my best working week of the year. Atlanta a couple of times. The track outside Dallas a couple of times.

Larry Dixon is helping me with a basic explainer in the early days of the race in Richmond. "Lane choice," he said, "means everything. Unless you don't have it. Then it doesn't mean shit."

Were Jim Yates and Warren Johnson the Pro Stock dudes who had quite a rivalry? Johnson referred to Yates as "that old parts peddler" one time. Never mind that he peddled parts in a pretty big chain of stores (I think).

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I covered a handful of events at Fairplex and as mentioned, the access was unreal. Some great stuff out of there.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Worked with a guy who would gladly tell you how accommodating and outright decent the NHRA sorts were and probably still are. They walk NASCAR's talk. NASCAR? While it's understood that access can be trickier as a sport and its following grows, there's a prime example of grossly overplaying one's hand. Repeatedly.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This might get interesting.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I wish they'd race up in Elkhart Lake, Wis.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If they allow fans in Daytona on 8/29, they’ll have an issue. Just two days after the end of the Trumpist klan meeting and coronation up the road in Jacksonvile.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's so true about Connie Kalitta. It's a wonder that any grizzled vets in that series can hear anymore.

I saw the storage room at Snake Racing's shop where all that Miller Lite was kept. Not sure Costco has more beer than that room had.

Dang, now I even miss the nitro fumes.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I doubt it’s a coincidence.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Amato owns Keystone Automotive. He had the Joe Cool Snoopy dragster. To me, talking to Dixon, he is what I always picture the stereotype SoCal car guy. I like him. I don't remember Johnson calling Yates any particular name, but that sounds about right. They were the big dogs in Pro Stock in the mid to late 90s.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I actually got called about a job with NHRA about 18-20 years ago. It would probably have been my dream job at the time. The deal breaker was I just didn't think I could handle living in/near Glendora. If I could have worked remotely from the east, I would have been all over it.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted