1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hooray, you’re back!

maumann, Neutral Corner and Azrael like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

seconded

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Two questions:

1. What is necessary for the betterment of society?

2. How would a bunch of rich men playing sports in near-bubbles, with constant testing, be to the overall detriment of society? Or rank anywhere near the top of legitimate concerns?

Bars are operating to the detriment of society. Drinking alcohol in crowded places. That’s hurting us. That has nothing to do with sports.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Count me among those sick of the "why are we even trying this" crowd on Twitter when it comes to sports. And Fart, love ya man, but what does money being put into playing professional sports in a bubble have to do with schools? Unless you're talking about college sports, where that makes more sense.

College football, though? Punt until spring. There's no way we're seeing games on the field seven weeks from now. Too much of a logistical nightmare and unpaid college kids do not have the same incentive to behave in their "bubbles" that highly paid professionals do.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

To me, it's about optics. If the NWSL or NBA or MLB can somehow make it work -- with players opting out and/or testing positive -- then colleges and even high schools think they can too. No matter the investment of money, time and resources the pro leagues can access, as well as the ability to opt out and make adult decisions to accept the consequences of becoming ill.

Around here, the state athletic association put out guidelines for practice before the Department of Education said there'd be school in the fall. In fact, the DOE still has no statewide plan to have kids in classrooms. But youth sports are already back -- and look at the $$$ there! -- and high school off-season "voluntary" practice should be starting soon.

I'm far more concerned about kids going back to school safely than I am about games... even if the absence of those games may cost me my job.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

To me, it’s about the likelihood of the bubbles failing sooner or later, and probably sooner rather than later.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why is any bar in America open at this moment? Why are we trying that?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. Anyone can get their fix without going into a crowded, unventilated place rife with the potential of spreading this thing. Go to the ABC store and host friends at home. Or go to a brewery's outdoor patio and enjoy a beer. But inside a crowded bar? Hell no. That's just common sense for anyone who has been following along. And it may be one reason why Virginia is doing better than most right now. There really aren't any true "bars." Food has to be involved. Not talking about just offering bags of chips. You have to have a kitchen to get a liquor license in this state.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Gotta make that money.

10. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

The Durham Bulls are holding a movie night at the stadium for July 4. You can reserve a (up-to) 5-person 'pod' for $150 or a 10-person 'pod' for $300 to sit in the infield and watch Captain America. I'm guessing the pods are glorified tarps. Also, virtual fireworks after the movie. Yay.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not that I am complaining about the change. ... But a month ago, when people were posting about the most prudent things possible to hopefully prevent where we are today, and getting a little anxious about how people seemed to be behaving all over the country. ... you were giving us "mass shaming" narratives. Glad to see the change, though.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Got an email this morning from our state high school football officiating association. They had a meeting Saturday and at this point, all signs point to starting the season on time in late August. With no restrictions for officials (masks, use of electronic whistles not required). I've been saying for months no way. I still say that.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted