1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Washington Post got someone fired for wearing blackface

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jerry-atric, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting story! The Washington Post’s comic artist held a Halloween party last year in which a guest used “black face.” She was making fun of Megyn Kelly! Still, she has been fired for her job after the Washington Post reported on the incident.

This article criticizes the Washington Post. I saw it on Twitter.

Why Did the Washington Post Get This Woman Fired?

2. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

Horrible story!

Jerry-atric likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I posit that you only post this story because it was The Washington Post! Not because you give a damn about the woman.

4. Jerry-atric

That is a very good point.

It is why I posted this on “Journalism topics only.”

I hope she can return to her job now that the New Yorker has revealed the whole truth.

Liut likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I posit only one or two newspapers in America would have run a story like that

Liut likes this.
  6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

3000 words on this story? What is this, The Athletic?

Jerry-atric likes this.
  7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Posing as obtuse Jerry-atric is my least favorite Jerry-attic.

Didn’t you already post about this incident June 18 on the “Running racism in America” thread?

sgreenwell and Azrael like this.
  8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I can see why they ran it. The new normal. Hate, hate, hate is the new normal. Ruin this person's life even though the person is not a public figure. So let's go out and find all the people who have worn inappropriate Halloween costumes and let's out them and get them fired. Not so sure what the Post was thinking. This would be like finding a garbage collector who sources confirmed wore blackface to a neighborhood party, write 5000 words on it and get him fired. Weird. You know the new normal of everybody hating America is growing old. Did you see gun sales are through the roof in Chicago? People who are sensing the new normal of hate are getting themselves equipped to protect themselves and their famiies as America continues to hate on itself. The Post just added to the hate culture. Ruin some insignificant person's life for no reason.

expendable and Liut like this.
  9. Jerry-atric

Perhaps you and Azrael do not believe this is an interesting journalism story. I did not intend to offend.

Liut likes this.
  10. Jerry-atric

This is a very good point.

Liut likes this.
  11. Jerry-atric

Ms. Schafer may like to consider a lawsuit against the Washington Post. I was quite upset at the paper’s story about Covington Catholic, as well. But I am biased, as it was about “my old Kentucky home.” LOL.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That is a great point!

Jerry-atric likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted