1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wow, this is one laughably ridiculous conspiracy theory you're cooking up here.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

My ignorance may be laughable. I know nothing about the sport. But I seriously do think it's in NASCAR's interest to come out and say, "The assignment process is random. There was no intentional assignment of that driver to that location. It's a terribly unfortunate coincidence."
    This is the world we live in. If there's an easy way to prevent a conspiracy theory from even being floated, why not do it?

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No rational minded person should need that clarification.

There was no actual noose, instead turns out it was a garage door pull rope that someone mistook for a noose. Yet, you think NASCAR officials (who were entirely in favor of the flag ban) must explain that they didn't conspire in advance to assign the black driver to a stall where they somehow knew there was a door pull rope that might be mistaken for a noose?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's simplify. A racist incident was supposed to have happened, but didn't. In the meantime, NASCAR created an organically moving event in support of its one black driver. Whether or not the incident happened, the second sentence is what matters. We stand by each other. That's a winning message.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The conspiracy/hoax/stunt accusations are, as my old football coach said, "88 and out the gate.

Bubba could win 10 championships and he'll forever be "Bubba Smollett," which is horrible. NASCAR could say anything right now and the tinfoil hat crew wouldn't believe them.

Hopefully NASCAR and those who want to move ahead will do so, tick it off as "one of those shitty things that happen" and move on. In another 18-24 months The Athletic can do the deep dive oral history into the episode.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I wish I could call lottery numbers the way I did this thing.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In. Fucking. Deed.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As mentioned, Nascar’s reaction was commendable in the message of unity and inclusion and all. But it’s possible to recognize that while also condemning series officials for being such doofuses. But I’m sure they’ll rectify it going forward by penalizing teams 10 owner points if they leave a garage after an event without completely untying all knots out of the garage door rope. It’ll be announced in the media center an hour after races. “Car No. 48 has passed inspection, and all garage ropes are straight.”

wicked likes this.
  9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like this is over.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to make of this whole thing.

But I see the usual crew of opportunists on Twitter lining up to tell me.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought garage stall assignments were made based on current points? Or the last year's standings? Perhaps the past champ/points leader just has a choice.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just a noose-shaped rope in the black driver's garage at a southern-based org. Nothing to see here.

Draft saved Draft deleted