1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is what they want. Only with more murder.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

OK. I just wasn't sure.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The SEC knows it will very rarely, if ever, hold a championship in Mississippi. No way they'd make the same ultimatum to Georgia and stop having championship events in Atlanta. NFW.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Driftwood

The SEC will never host a football or basketball championship there, but they certainly could hold baseball, softball. As for the NCAA a number of DII (Delta State) postseason events are there.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but in the long history of the SEC baseball/softball tournaments, have they ever been held in Mississippi? (Serious question, because IDK. Isn't baseball always in Hoover?)

This move scores appearance points for the SEC. Give Georgia the same ultimatum and then I'll think it's more than a PR move.

Driftwood and FileNotFound like this.
  6. Driftwood

Definitively, I don't know. I'd say championships are held elsewhere, but I'm sure if there are higher seed host type postseason games, Ole Miss and Miss. State have both hosted something. It seems like every few years one of those schools pops up with a pretty good team on the diamond.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Baseball is contracted to Hoover. I don't know if softball has a permanent home. This doesn't have a lot of teeth to it, as others have said.

8. Driftwood

Protesters in London are going after a statue of Churchill.
    Funny, in all my reading, I've never heard of him being at Gettysburg.
    If they manage to get Nelson at Trafalgar Square, I will be thoroughly impressed.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Softball in 2016 and 2011. Baseball hasn’t been in the state since 1995.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Softball rotates around to the various campus sites. Mississippi State last hosted it in 2015 or 2016. I couldn't find the rotation for the coming years, but next year it's at Alabama (where it was supposed to be this year before it got canceled because of COVID).
    The next SEC championship event scheduled in Mississippi is outdoor track and field and cross country, both at Ole Miss in 2022. Mississippi State is supposed to host cross country in 2024.

The Big Four sports are not and probably never would be in Mississippi. Football and men's and women's basketball don't have the right size neutral-site venues or big enough cities to host it.
    They used to move baseball around to campus sites, but it has been entrenched in Hoover for years. There are some nice minor league parks in Mississippi they could play at if they ever left there, but everyone seems to love having it in Hoover and the city does a great job hosting it so I doubt they move it any time soon.

Losing NCAA baseball and softball regionals, though, is a real blow. Ole Miss and Mississippi State (as well as Southern Miss and Division II Delta State) all have great baseball programs and stadiums that regularly host regionals. I don't know how much of an economic factor it is, since it's not something you can count on every year, but it definitely puts them at a competitive disadvantage.
    People in Mississippi also love college baseball. It's almost a given that at least one of the three teams is going to host a regional every year. Losing that stings.

Draft saved Draft deleted