1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Daily Memphian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jetlife, May 22, 2020.

1. Jetlife

Jetlife New Member

Want to be part of the future of local journalism, free from corporate mandates, cutbacks and general oppression? Want to supervise an award-winning staff and help lead a growing newsroom? This is a unique opportunity to become part of one of the country’s leading local news sites in one of the country’s most dynamic and diverse cities.

The Daily Memphian, Memphis’ largest local news site, is hiring a leader to not only supervise our sports staff but join our strong leadership team as we continue to grow the prototype for digital local news. We are a locally-owned, non-profit news site dedicated to producing great local journalism.

This position will supervise a team of six reporters, including a full-time columnist, NBA beat writer, Division I college football and basketball writers, and two high school and recruiting writers. We expect this team to increase in the coming year as we continue to grow our newsroom.

The ideal candidate will be a strong strategic thinker who can make our writers and sports coverage better. Strong planning is essential. This person must have a proven track record of breaking news, digital innovation and experience working with both seasoned, top-performing veterans and strong beat writers. Previous management experience, including some previous experience in sports, is strongly preferred. This is a strong sports department in a passionate sports city.

APPLY NOW

The Daily Memphian was started in 2018 as online-only news site. In less than two years, we have become the largest local news web site in our market in terms of paid digital subscriptions, surpassing the legacy local newspaper. Unlike most other non-profit, online news sites, we are a full-service daily news site with a 35-person newsroom staff. We built our own content management system, and we have our own local customer service and marketing teams. We are what the future of local journalism will look like.

If you want to join our team, send a one-page cover letter explaining why you are the best candidate for this position, along with your resume, to Ronnie Ramos, editor, at rramos@dailymemphian.com.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This site attracted a few writers from the Commercial Appeal at startup, most notably columnist Geoff Calkins.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

This is a good job. If I was still in that area of the world I'd be very interested.

4. HanSenSE

5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

6. HanSenSE

Still looking for a sports editor, it appears, from the link MiamiBoy posted.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I wonder if they would hire someone who has been out of the business for three years...

RedSmithClone likes this.
  8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Or anyone who's been in the business for more than three years.

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Why the F would you return to the business? Masochism?

TigerVols likes this.
  10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Got laid off from my new career and now I’ll take anything I can get. Besides, the itch for journalism has returned

RonClements likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

Filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted