1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taibbi: The News Media Is Destroying Itself

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 12, 2020.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Do you really not understand the difference between police brutality against blacks and black-on-black crime?

I'm not going to get into race policies here, but it's just amazing how people can still be just totally gaslit by this debate. Do you honestly think the black community hasn't worked for years and years trying to to improve that situation? Do you really think they're saying, at all, that those lives don't matter as much as black lives taken by white people? And do you you think that some of those crimes may very well be due to poverty, which is a massive byproduct of institutional racism?

Not to mention, white on white crime accounts for the highest percentage of crime overall. So why aren't you crying out for that to be put to the forefront? After all, it's the most prevalent crime.

I'm going to cut off political discussion here, but it's just amazing to me that people like Candace Owens can still pull this bait and switch.

SFIND, JPsT, tonygunk and 1 other person like this.
  2. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

The two-party system exists because it gives us a chance to have both sides consolidate their views and agree on a candidate that works for everyone in each party. The two-party system catches a lot of heat because both sides are so polarized. But we wouldn't be having these issues if both parties worked with integrity and unity. We need both parties to be strong and concerted for the government to work.

We have a Democrat party that is weak as hell and represents only the most moderate segment of its voting block. We have like 60 percent of those who would vote Democrat in 2020 (I say "those who would vote Democrat" because most of those people would struggle to definitively say they are Democrats based on what the Democrats have accomplished since Obama) out in streets protesting about civil rights and Biden doesn't have a single relevant word or poignant thing to add to that conversation. Does Biden represent the range of views among people who call themselves a Democrat? He exists only as an alternative to Trump, and so did Hillary.

The same type of issue is there for Republicans. It helps that Trump will agree to anything and a Populist; that's what led to him winning. But so many true conservatives and traditional Republicans have been repulsed by him, as any reasonable person would be. Trump stands only on his desire to win and be "the best" and be a bully, not on any noble political belief.

SFIND likes this.
  3. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I know why the two-party system exists, but there's no law in our democracy saying it has to exist. There have been other political parties.

Right now, something needs to break this polarization. It sure as hell won't happen in my generation. And all I'm saying is now people have more choices than ever. My 6-year-old son, for example, has no real concept of TV channels. He watches what he wants, however he wants to. He's figured out how to use Netflix faster than I can.

The point is, Dems and Reps both, IMO, get more and more out of touch with the people they're supposed to serve. If they think they can keep telling the next 2, 3, 4 generations, "These are your choices, so deal with it," they're going to be mistaken.

The two-party system is in trouble because they don't exist for balance anymore. They exist almost solely due to oppositional defiance now, and it's getting worse. It's going to have to break sometime.

tonygunk likes this.
  4. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

People like Candace Owens, Tucker Carlson, Ben Shapiro and Clay Travis are incredibly talented presenters who choose to use their ability to grift and claim they are way smarter than everyone else because they can rattle off statistics.

Remember that GQ piece on Carlson? People told me he was too smart to do this shit. Clay Travis continues to point out that South Korea had no issue containing the virus, nevermind the fact that the culture and laws in that country would be considered completely draconian here in the US. Oh, and by the way, we have this little thing called a vaccine for the flu.

It's disappointing to see how talented each of them are with crafting and asserting an argument only to know that they do this in bad faith to rile up the right-wing mob. Not sure which of them really means what they say.

SFIND and stix like this.
  5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

This board: “How dare you say anything critical of The Athletic, you’re probably just jealous cuz you can’t get a job there.”

Also this board: “Candace Owens is smart.”

Good lord. And somehow I’M the asshole.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Here's your tell right here, in 24 keystrokes.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

But remember, the leftist media is the problem, particularly their arrogance on Twitter, and 100 million people consuming this stuff on Facebook is “not interesting” to our media critics.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What's your point? Trump and the right have better stats. And?

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Most accurate thing you've ever said here.

Sports Barf likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Also remember: Libruhl Hollywood celebrity influencers are the most powerful people in the world. They're killing Amurrica.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Got news for you man: It's fully possible for you to be an asshole and for Fredrick to be an asshole. Both things are reinforced with every post.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I hadn't been following this thread so I missed Fredrick adding racist idiot to his arsenal. Exciting news.

Draft saved Draft deleted