1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Cops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 9, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Go to another network or platform, I fear. But well done. One of your best yet.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The ghost of Bill Hicks sheds a tear.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

On both sides?

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Whenever I needed an emotional pick-me-up, "Cops" was there for me. I could see that, however miserable I thought my life was, at least I wasn't on the curb of a parking strip, handcuffed, wearing a wife-beater, so blitzed I needed to concentrate to keep from toppling to one side, while my toothless significant other was screaming to the responding officers all of the evil I had done.

At least not at 10 a.m.

cyclingwriter2 and Cosmo like this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Live PD ...
    Texas man Javier Ambler who died after arrest told police 'I can't breathe'

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Remember when "Bad Boys" used to be a song about the arrestees, not the arresters?

Live PD was in my city for one season and made a pretty big impact for a white person's arrest: the sister of a congressman, on a DUI charge.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guarantee some network will pick it up - if it makes financial sense. Took a tour of the county jail once (an actual tour, I wasn't detained) the inmates were watching....Cops. Don't know if they were taking notes and wondering if they'd see someone they recognized. Are those "mug shot" newspapers still a big deal anywhere? I once went into a store and made a remark about the "cover boy" on the issue on the counter - sure enough - the guy behind the counter knew him.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

That's Danny Brown (he works in Richland County, South Carolina), whose nose for drugs is allegedly so good, I wouldn't think his department needs drug-sniffing K-9s. (Trivia: Richland County is the only department that's been a part of all 298 episodes.)

Also, Williamson County, already referred to upthread, has an interesting issue. The sheriff made his own deal with the network after the county commissioners nixed the contract. The commissioners argue that the arrests made when Live PD is present end up being dismissed because of either lack of evidence or because the officers didn't follow procedure.

There was the night Berkeley County, S.C., lost control of its K-9 during the live broadcast and it ran off and was found by a citizen hours later.

And lately, they've had West Baton Rouge Parrish. There are uniformed officers but the cameras follow two crews who go plainclothes (but with the vests, so I don't get why) who act somewhat like they're auditioning to be the replacement for "Starsky & Hutch" in 1979. But at least they'll call off a chase if it gets hairy.

There are good departments that have been featured but my guess is that they're no longer on because there's not enough action. The producers apparently think viewers get tired of domestic disputes in El Paso or marijuana busts in Greene County, Mo., trailer parks. And nothing ever happened in Missoula County, Montana, except the occasional car vs. deer incident.

Yeah, I watch. West Baton Rouge has caused me to rethink why I do, though.

I think Live PD will return in some way because its the No. 1 show on cable. (EDIT: Well, that turned out to be wrong.) But if it tanks, I think they'll try slipping Live Rescue into its place. Last weekend, I think, was a test run for that by airing repeats of Live Rescue.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted