1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was laid off Friday, now what do I do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by New Beginnings, Jun 7, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Forget about writing on deadline and interviewing people as your chief job skills. Think about how hard you work, how you cultivated sources and are able to be flexible. You may be interested in "two-tracking" your job search - communications jobs and then be more creative. I've always thought sportswriters are natural salespeople - knocking on doors, researching new clients, communicating and developing relationships. Also figure the background is a great icebreaker with clients - "yeah, I met that guy TOTAL PRICK!"or if the prospect is a fanboi "GREAT GUY!" depending on your needs.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Is 37 too old to do something? If you don't do that something, how old are you going to be?

(An old Dear Abby line, IIRC.)

Beachey and OscarMadison like this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You said you have "limited marketable skills." That's nowhere near true. You're a success story, even though I know you don't feel that way right now. To have climbed the ladder like you have, networking for every job, is tremendous. Who's to say the next job won't come from that same network? As others have said, the timing right now is the worst part of it. But that will turn around, and people will need to hire communicators and writers. Hang in there.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Good luck.

I have also been through a lot of evaluation processes. They tend to be extremely subjective and heavily influenced by:

1. Inter personnel connections.

2. Working style and how it meshes with the supervisor.

So who the hell knows why you went on the block? It will be a mystery for the rest of your life.

Secondly,as tough as this is there are people receiving news of serious illnesses and deaths in their family even as write this. As hard as it to deal with with this there are other jobs out there and you will recover.

Having said that, I would grab to first job I could, even if it is a security installer. Being unemployed is psychologically tough. Getting another job helps. And because if you do find a job somewhere in local journalism your chances of getting axed again are pretty damned good given the woes of Gannett, McClatchy, et. al.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    OscarMadison and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I've been through some shit in my life but never lost a job. I don't suspect I would handle it well at all.

But I have full sympathy for anyone experiencing it. Hang in there, please.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

3OF, you are right. It is very hard to handle.

My first layoff was the big one, because I'd been there 17 years, and I was invested in the area. Wasn't my hometown or anything but it had a lot going for it. If it wasn't so fuckin' hot all the time would even be better.

My second time, and I consider that "firing" a layoff, because I got my unemployment and the executive editor, who now works in Republican politics in Texas (some nebulous job I hope he has to kiss a lotta ass) clearly didn't like my liberal politics, my outspoken ways, my, well, zest for life.

I found out from a little birdie that the motherfucker went through the roof when he found out the Texas Employment Commission awarded me my benefits. I only got them for 2 months, because I took another job, a shit job, but it was a win for me. And when the opponent is newspaper management, I'd estimate my record since 1980 to be about 12-1,241.

That said, the risk of going to work for a friend is real. Obviously we are not friends any more. If I saw him I would say let's step outside. He's a pretty solid motherfucker, although sawed off at about 5-foot-6. I'd mop the fuckin' floor with him, even though he's 13 years younger than me. I wrestled too, like his son, and as I like to say, HS wrestling made me the asshole I am today.

Like I said, I haven't been in a fight since sophomore or junior year in college. I've broken up a few, and moonlighted as a bouncer in New Orleans from time to time (great money), but at 63 with a bad back and two arthritic hips, I better not push my luck.

Of course if I saw the bastard in five minutes we're gonna throw.

So hell yeah it's personal.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Clarification: Is the original poster claiming editors at The Athletic work 30 minutes a day?

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're feeling especially down and vulnerable, and unmarketable, right now because this just happened. Fair warning: You might still feel this way a couple months from now, or, if finding a new job is a struggle, a year from now.

But, you've come to the right place for help. This experience is a common occurrence around here, and many, including yours truly, have much to say about it, and have done so.My advice and best suggestion is to check out this thread thoroughly, as well as the "Getting Out Of The Business" thread that's also sticky-ed at the top. There's a reason it is there.

There are also other threads that, like yours, have popped up from time to time when something job-related happens to one particular poster. And usually, these days, that is the loss of a job. Do searches on this site for things like "changing careers," "related jobs," "job loss," etc.

You'll find that some of us have been successful at remaining in the journalism industry. Many more have been unsuccessful at it, or have actually chosen not to stay in it, and have gone either into adjacent fields, or else, in completely unrelated directions. It is possible to move on in life and to end up happy either way.

It is all compelling reading, honestly, and if nothing else, I think you'll feel your burden shared, if not halved.

My other piece of advice is this: Remember, you've done well to go as far as you have, and you'll do well again. It may take some time, but it will happen.

One more piece of advice: Be glad you're 37, and not 47, or 57.

9. Situation

Situation Member

No, your next employer probably won't care that you covered a Gator Bowl. But they might care that you thrived under deadline pressure, cultivated relationships, wrote coherently, and worked at a fast pace.

Tailor your resume and cover letter to the job your applying for. Sell yourself. I bought this book for cheap 6 or 7 years ago and it helped me land quite a few interviews and a few jobs ... and I guarantee your resume and experiences are infinitely better than mine.

Since getting out of journalism I've worked PR at a non-profit, community college, and public school. No, it's nothing like the thrill of sportswriting, but those jobs offer much more security, time off, benefits, and far less stress.

What else are you interested in?

Look at civil service jobs in your county or state.

USPS and UPS are always looking for delivery people. Same with Amazon. They pay pretty well, too.

There's a huge shortage of full-time and substitute teachers. If you go back to school, that might be a possibility.

Good computer developers and programmers are in high demand. That can be self-taught without going back to school.

In my free time, I build and optimize websites in service industries and sell the leads off to companies. I flip books and sell mugs on Amazon. I also built an Amazon affiliate site that brings in money each month.

Hell, freelance copywriters can make tons of money. There are cheap online trainings to get you started.

There's tons of ways to make money online, and you have the skills to do it.

Do some Google searches and get going.

And, in closing, don't tie your entire identity to being a sports journalist.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There's a ton of great advice here, NB, so as I say "good luck" and "hang in there," I just want to add a couple things:

1. If sports journalism is something you really enjoy and can't give up, there will be future opportunities to do it. Unfortunately, the chance to make a living in any type of journalism is dwindling each day, but as the newspaper career window starts to close for me, I remind myself that if I want to, there are chances to be a writer until the day I die. Writing and reporting are valuable skills and most don't have them. You do.

2. Don't let anyone say you're over the hill at 37. (Full disclosure: I'm 48). In this economy, in this era, lots of people change careers. My wife managed to go back to school and earn certification as a physical therapy assistant after two decades in education, and although it was tough going to class, working part-time and having a couple teenagers to chase after (with my help, I will add!), it was worth it for her because she enjoys her new career.

OscarMadison and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Jesus, good advice. You sound like you had a good ride in the business. No shame there, all rides come to an end.

I think working for a friend is a good topic. I would not advise. Does not work out well in my experience.

I mean, I've been told y'all pretty much got fucking six months to find something else before the department is shuttered.

That will light a fire under one's ass quickly.

Peace to all affected. This too shall pass.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Here's a little piece of hope.

I got the axe at age 59 and landed a solid second career, one which I like better than my first.

The playing field is wide-open for you, not just journalism. Find something you can be passionate about.

Draft saved Draft deleted