1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

There is good money in being a race traitor.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

For once, we get to hear an orange-faced creature talk about racism that is not Trump.

[​IMG]

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Damned libruhl PBS. Defund!

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's scary how relevant some of the themes of "Clockwork Orange" remain today.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Spent five years on the cops beat in a previous life and had one of them town's police force living next door. He and I were bullshitting on his back porch one night about work and he said, "the best part of this job is the ability to use discretion. Not everything deserves to be letter of the law." That's EXACTLY what that 75-year-old man deserved. I'm starting to think that It's not that there are a few bad apples.; its that there are a few good apples that are bringing up the vocation's overall goodwill.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

GilGarrido, in none of his posts, excused what happened to George Floyd at the hands of the police in the instance that caused his death.

His question, which should have been of interest to journalists and former journalists, was how and/or why CNN, a major news organization, would write a major news account of somebody's life -- anybody's life -- that doesn't didn't include something that, let's be honest, amounts to a glaring omission (assuming you do actually know about it).

I think the answer to your questions, GG, lies in the headline itself. Floyd's conviction of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon, for which he served a significant amount of prison time, is not the way Floyd's family wants people to remember him. And CNN either didn't dig deeply enough to know about that fact of his history, or, more likely, it allowed his family and friends to dictate the general content and direction of the article -- much as often occurs in more basic, traditional obituaries.

I believe CNN's determination to allow that and write the story that way, was, in essence, a nod to what usually tends to happen with obits, memorials and funerals, etc.). Also, everything, these days, seems to be getting written less in the traditional newsy ways and more in increasingly slanted, editorialized, and thus, bastardized ways than ever before, so that even major news outlets are becoming more blog-gish/Twitter-ish in their direction. This article wasn't that, obviously, but it's that tendency and prevalence that contributed to the blatant omission of some definite fair-game news, I believe.

I'm with you in thinking that arrest should have been included in such a story of Floyd's life, with any greater background and context that was needed, provided. Including it certainly would have added context to the very first paragraph about the reasons for Floyd's move to Minneapolis, when the writer alluded to the fresh start that Floyd hoped to make there.

Liut likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

8. BitterYoungMatador2

To be fair, LAPD has always been on cutting edge of brutality. They’re like the Ross Parks of fucking up non-whites.

Iron_chet and Spartan Squad like this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Just from a photographic standpoint, that is a very cool shot.

Webster likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

There must’ve been a ripple in the revenue stream

12. BitterYoungMatador2

Nice work putting your Charlie Strong shirt on and blathering this tripe and not mentioning Kaepernick’s name once.

Draft saved Draft deleted