1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Outside the government and the wumao corners of the internet, it's otherwise known as "May 35th".

The anthem discussion is interesting to me as just yesterday our local legislature passed a bill making disrespecting the national anthem ("March of the Volunteers") subject to a $50,000 fine and jail time.

Hong Kong legislature passes national anthem law amid opposition protest
    National anthem booed as protests take place at World Cup soccer qualifier

This is not a comment on Driftwood's position, and I doubt he would support such legislation in the US. That said, I know there are some conservatives -- members of my own family included -- who would be just fine with it.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Love the use of "both officers" in the tweet.

There are at least a dozen officers on that video who should be fired tonight.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

I'm not lying, and it looks like I'm not mistaken either. Here's the court document, which I found in a Daily Mail article.

And again, I'm not saying that it in any way excuses what was done to him, and I don't see why this is so hard to understand. I'm saying that if CNN doesn't mention it in describing a lot about his life, it looks like CNN is trying to hide things, which makes people less likely to trust CNN.

[​IMG]

Liut likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fucking pigs.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Harrison, Ark., where the KKK has a giant “Diversity is white genocide” billboard ...

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Alex Jones is a bomb throwing shitbird who deserves every bad thing that comes his way but God, he wasn’t all wrong about cops.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Usually it's the Erie County Sheriff's Department beating the shit out of tailgaters at Bills' games. Looks like the BPD is trying to keep up.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is it just me or do a lot of these confrontations look like baseball fights where one guy (a cop) wants to go after protestors while everyone else is professional and trying to calm things down - and then the ahole engages and everyone else is stuck having to back him up.

All three Buffalo cops involved in the confrontation with the old guy should be fired - another 10 who walked passed be given suspensions. The supervisor should be charged.

I don't know how dumb police officers are when they don't realize that "keeping the peace" INCLUDES not doing stuff that only incites the public whether present or watching at home. Ridiculous. By all means protect yourself, but the entire profession needs to rethink threat assessment protocols.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is a police captain and is eligible for retirement next year. We were talking a couple months ago and he said that he originally planned to work for another 5 to 7 years but that hiring standards have gotten so low he can't stand it anymore and plans to retire next year. He told me that it used to be if you had even minor infractions, his department wouldn't hire you. Now, he said they have at least one former crack addict on the force along with several other officers who have felony convictions on their record. He said something to the effect of, "If you think police are bad now, wait 5 years, 10 years, when all these degenerates they're hiring actually have rank. It's going to be a bigger shitshow than it is now."

And this is in a relatively low-crime, moderately affluent suburban community. I can't imagine how difficult it is for major urban centers to fully staff their departments with quality officers.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted