1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Wes Unseld

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 2, 2020.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ovie, Unseld, Sonny Jurgensen and Frank Howard. End of story.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They ditched Porter before they won their only NBA title and played better with Tom Henderson at point guard. Porter was too erratic.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hondo, Hondo was one of my first heroes. But they never won anything with him there. DC Hall of Fame, sure. Rushmore, I wish but no. Not ahead of Walter Johnson.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Baugh over Jurgenson.

Jurgenson played his first seven years with the Eagles. He was a full-time starter for seven years in Washington. In those seven years his best season as a starter was when the team went 7-7. The team only finished above fifth in scoring in the old 14 to 16 team NFL once, in 1966, when they finished third (the Redskins scored 72 points in a game against the Giants to inflate their season stats).

So Jurgenson is not a Mt. Rushmore candidate. Though I agree that the trade of Norm Snead for Jurgenson is the best trade in Washington sports history. But that says a hell of a lot more about Norm Snead than Jurgenson.

And about that 72 point game. I watched it when I was nine and still remember it because it was so bizarre.

Charlie Gogolak blew an extra point that cost the Redskins the chance to tie the NFL record for most points in a game. It was probably Jurgenson's worse game of the season; he only passed for 145 yards. The Redskins only gained 341 yards, punted six times, had two turnovers and still scored 72 points.

The game produced the strangest box score I have ever seen.

New York Giants at Washington Redskins - November 27th, 1966 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Kicking a field goal up 69-41. That’s awesome.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That game killed some fantasy teams that day.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

Sonny's legacy with Redskins fans was cemented by his work on the team's radio broadcasts for so long. (And his presence around Redskins Park after retirement.) It was almost like Sam Huff, Sonny J. and Frank Herzog were full-fledged members of all those Joe Gibbs Super Bowl-winning teams.

They even had their caricatures on Slurpee cups in the '80s!

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sonny was the greatest and i never forgave the Eagles for trading him for Norm Fuckin' Snead. But Baugh was like seven light years ahead of him. My Dad, who grew up in the District in the '30s, always said Baugh was the best football player of all time. He had a lot of evidence to offer on behalf of his argument.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Needed to make it a five-score game.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It was only a 29 yard field goal so the Redskins would have been on the 12. If the Redskins score a touchdown they set the recrod for most points in a game. Why not try to score a touchdown?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jurgensen, to be clear. Two e's, no o's.

I was in a Georgetown dress shop with my sister, I guess I was 8? He walked in and I about wet my pants.

Like Frank Howard, in the DC Hall of Fame. Not on Rushmore

Tweener and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jurgensen and Howard were the two main reasons to root for D.C. sports in the '60s.

Moderator1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted