1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Going to have to be careful about how I phrase this...this CNN article titled "This is how loved ones want us to remember George Floyd," with a byline and an endnote saying that seven other CNN journalists contributed to "this report," prompted some questions and some thoughts.

This is how loved ones want us to remember George Floyd - CNN

First, and I'd especially appreciate current and former journalists' views, does this fit within your idea of what a news report should be, or what CNN presents itself as providing? I have no reason to doubt its accuracy, and I guess it can't be called opinion, but it doesn't seem right to me as a straight article either, as it's clearly presenting a partial view. Is there another category that this fits into?

Second, I don't understand why it seems to be off limits for CNN to mention that Floyd served five years for armed robbery. The Guardian has reported it, as has the AJC, and both of those are reputable publications. We have CNN on for at least a couple of hours a day, and I see a lot of its online reports, and I don't think I've ever heard or seen the prison time mentioned. (I haven't seen all of CNN's coverage of the memorial services today, so if it's been mentioned, I will stand corrected.) I get that the prison time and the official autopsy report's mention of fentanyl and meth make him a somewhat less sympathetic figure. That's fine. Equal justice for everybody means for everybody, even ex-prisoners who have served their time. Just because he was a flawed human being doesn't make what was done to him any less wrong, and I think most of the country would agree -- except maybe for the head of the police union and the officers' lawyers, but I don't expect them to be objective. Anyway, I don't want CNN to give me a misleadingly incomplete picture. It makes me question what CNN isn't telling me about other subjects and reduces my trust in it, which I assume is not what it wants.

WriteThinking and Liut like this.
  2. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

There is a Jefferson Davis state holiday? You're kidding, right?

3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

How about ...

Officer turns off body camera
    1 - Two-week unpaid suspension
    2 - You're fired

Any public servant (police officer, military, teacher, county office clerk, etc...) with any ties ( social media, tats, emails, etc...) to any hate groups will be suspended then fired. ADD: To ensure this, every six months, anyone in a role to kill someone else (so, county clerks, et al. excluded) have every inch of their bare skin inspected for evidence of support for such anti-democratic groups.

ADD: Federal control of hiring, training, deployment and sanctioning of police officers. Police training to include, for lack of a better phrase, "Anti-white supremacist thinking." You take a class and learn about the history of race relations. You have to pass a test on race relations. Course instructors - like the counselors at court-ordered drug rehab counseling - will be charged with determining the sincerity with which candidates accept the teachings.

ADD: Use of federal resources to ensure the right to register to vote and the right to vote. Maybe the National Guard should be called out to make sure minorities are able to reach polling spots and aren't denied the right to vote once they get there.

... and so much more.

One hundred forty-some years later, it's time to undo the wrongs wrought by rolling back Reconstruction.

Scout likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

JFC Gil, he was murdered. His past means nothing. I could go out and shoot the worst SOB I can think of (many come to mind) and I'd still be a murderer. Get a grip.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Stuff like that happened in the Malice Green case
    He died because he had drugs in his system, people said
    No, he died because he was hit over the head with a flashlight 14 times

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Frankly, I'm amazed it took more than a week to get to the "he was no angel" part of the proceedings. Usually people start bringing up unpaid library fines before the body is cold.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Today's self-own courtesy of Jake Fromm, who is not now on the street precisely because he is elite.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sadly, they are common in Southern states.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It would be relevant if the Trumpist kkkops had stopped and arrested him for a violent crime in what became the final moments of his life or if he had displayed aggression with a weapon at the time of his arrest. The inconvenient truth is that he was wanted for suspicion of counterfeiting.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted