1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The summer of 1973 I lived in Oakland. A's games were cheap, so I went to a good number. Maybe one-third of the crowd would stand for the anthem. And it wasn't that all of them were making a sociopolitical statement, although some were. They just didn't give a shit and weren't paying attention. In fairness, they did stand in the playoffs and Series when they had name singers.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Lots of rumors about marches in Birmingham. There are tweets about two opposing rallies downtown, so far no firm sources. UAB and a number of downtown businesses closed at 2. The two main park protest sites, Kelly Ingram Park and Linn Park, where the Confederate monument was recently removed, are fenced off by the city.

It wouldn't take much to touch things off after what went on last night. Hoping things stay quiet.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I always stood at games, in the press box too. My father would have expected me to do it. I don't give a shit what anyone else does.

Liut, Fred siegle, JC and 3 others like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We appreciate your input, and fuck you very much.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The name used by the Chinese government was "Political turmoil between the Spring and Summer of 1989"

How it's written in traditional Chinese: 1989年春夏之交的政治風波
    How it's written in simplified Chinese: 1989年春夏之交的政治风波

Looks like one of those "can you spot the differences in these two drawings" exercises.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

If I recall, the Fox regional channels in SoCal are always on a commercial during the national anthem. I think somebody messed up if they are on the air and the anthem is going. It is very awkward when they come back from a commercial and the anthem hasn't finished. Nobody talks, just the anthem in the background from a crowd mic.
    I appreciate the anthem if the singer just sings the song and doesn't embellish. You're not auditioning for America's Got Talent. I stand up and take off my hat. No hand over heart, that is for the Pledge of Allegiance. I have always liked "Oh Canada" so I enjoy when the Ducks are playing a Canadian team.
    I think the anthem should be a part of the pregame show.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted