1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Some parts are unPC today, but ...

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It seems like a lot of it started after 9/11, because Amurica was attacked! That and remorse and overcompensation for the poor treatment of returning Vietnam vets.

OTOH, don't know how other teams do this, but on their radio broadcasts, the Giants have a sponsor for the national anthem. Hell, they even have a sponsor for the disclaimer ("This copyrighted broadcast ...).

Liut likes this.
  3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

If you called out my child for something that is your opinion, and not in the statement that is read at many if not all high school events or in the code of conduct the child and I signed, I'd have your ass in a sling.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

DiBruno Bros. is a downtown Philadelphia deli and Italian meat market. Earlier in the demonstration is was giving free lunches to Philly police officers. Employees objected, so the free lunches stopped. The police union's reaction was to announce a boycott. Leaving aside the obvious petty corruption at work here "I'm a cop, I should get free stuff," consider the logic of boycotting a place where you weren't paying for stuff in the first place. That'll bring the joint to its knees!

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Someone didn't think that one through.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Bring it. I have tenure. ;)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Kansas City Royals have one for the disclaimer, as well. You guessed it ... a law firm.

HanSenSE and Michael_ Gee like this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I've been going far out of my way to avoid DiBruno Bros cheeses since the owners came out as Trumpists in 2016. That won't be changing anytime soon I see.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

1. As noted, I have a flagpole in my yard and fly a flag every day. I have a reason. On the other hand, a buddy and I were driving down the road the other day on a non holiday, and in a 10-mile stretch, we counted 37 houses with flags. We both agreed that was overboard.

2. I do radio for college football and have for 20 years. We always broadcast the anthem (no sponsor) as part of our show. Everyone in the booth stands with his hand over his heart. The only time a word is said is if someone from the station comes across, and the play-by-play guy whispers "anthem."

3. I have a Trumper buddy who was at the house one year for the Super Bowl, and he pops up when it comes on the TV. I told him to sit down. It's not necessary when watching on TV.

Liut and HanSenSE like this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then you're an idiot. You don't have the right to dictate to other people how they should behave in a public setting in which they're breaking no laws. And, dude, you can take this to the bank: if I decide to burn a flag in your immediate presence, my chances will be 100 percent that it will succeed.
    I can only imagine what kind of press-box dictator you are ("you can't sit there ... I need those seats for my 17 spotters.")

Fred siegle and Alma like this.
  11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted