1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

many anthems, many sports, many press boxes

always happiest in the vicinity of the late Dr Z for the timing of it

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yes. I have called announced for people to respect the rules and have re-read the policy. In the situation you are setting up, it's kind of hard to pick out one individual, which is much different than seeing one person doing something inappropriate while everyone else is standing still/silent. In cases where fans have gone overboard yelling at refs or players, our AD and security have tossed them out.

We start each school day with a moment of silence. Many teachers, myself included, get on students if they are talking. You don't have to care one bit about what's going on, but don't be a douche: respect the moment and those who are observing it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can we just stop with this crap? You are welcome to your opinion, but why is stereotyping the people who disagree with you okay? Not everyone who speaks out in favor of respecting the anthem is an uneducated moron and it doesn't help the debate to act otherwise.

The discussion I think we should be having is about President Trump's desire to misuse the military. That is why you see people like James Mattis and John Allen pushing back. The Brees thing is a distraction and part of a debate that was overblown a long time ago.

Liut and Jerry-atric like this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

God, he was fucking great.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I worked the scoreboard, PA and book for basketball at my old high school for about a dozen years after graduation, and we purposely used the Navy band's version, because it was the shortest. Doing some Google searching, I see one version at 1:27, which sounds about right for the copy we had. We first started using it in like 2000, and since then we've made sure to copy it over from burnt CDR to iPods to iTunes to cell phones, as the various tech devices for this have changed.

micropolitan guy and Liut like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not just the model of the form, the creator of the form.

A giant.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

upload_2020-6-4_10-13-42.png

Attached Files:

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

IIRC, it started as a patriotic gesture during WWII.

9. Neutral Corner

A black man who has a problem with police violence. Go figure.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So true. Like many here, I'd put my anthems-heard-at-events in the very high hundreds if not 1,000-plus. I will applaud politely if it's a well-done rendition and I know I haven't applauded often. In fact, if the event isn't college or pro, please go with an instrumental or something like Whitney Houston's version (though Whitney's dramatic rendition can sound a little funny at a volleyball game with 30 fans).

Liut likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Something people are seeing today as they drive into downtown Cleveland ... 06CCDEB0-A1EF-4097-AB7A-97BB9CC28B3F.jpeg

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted