1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They can't name their Senators and they can't name a single amendment beyond the first two. They couldn't pass a citizenship test but will happily tell you they're more Amurrican than any furrriner who has gone through a process and proven greater appreciation of American ideals than many of of us who were born here.

Dog8Cats and OscarMadison like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We could use an anthem that didn't suck musically (the range between the highest sung note and the lowest is an octave and a half).

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As has been said numerous times before, men and women take an oath to defend the Constitution when they join the military. That Constitution they swear to uphold guarantees US citizens the right to peaceful protest, like taking a knee during the anthem, etc. By trying to prevent people from such actions, they are violating the very thing they swore to protect.

So, some guy/gal who gets all bent out of shape saying "I served to defend that flag!" has no standing, because you served to defend the Constitution. Bubba Joe Johnson, Karen Cooter or Joe Bagadonuts, who didn't even serve, has even less of a standing.

End of story.

The many mangled versions I've heard over my professional career disrespect the anthem far more than some guy exercising his Constitutional rights by quietly taking a knee.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  4. tapintoamerica

If you will argue for citizens' rights to not respect the flag and the anthem, why do you call out people over the PA system for the offense? Isn't that a bit contradictory? Do you also call out and chastise fans who boo or otherwise express disdain -- perhaps profanely -- of officials' rulings during the game?

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Fun question.

Who here has stood through the most anthems while on the job?

I’d give my number as, oh, 2,000 from nine years as a TV sports reporter. When I was in print, I’d have one a day. In TV, perhaps 3 a day with staggered starts for football, basketball or hockey.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was actually closer to 100 college events, plus at least another 20 or 30 high school games. I covered men's and women's hoops, football and baseball. That adds up quickly.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I used to say I'd stood for more anthems than Colin Powell. As for which tone deaf clods burdened us with the current song as our anthem, the answer, as is so often the case with American idiocy, is Congress, which mandated the Star-Spangled Banner in 1930, another time when there was a little something else going in American life.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

More than 30 years as a beat writer for major colleges. Numerous auto races. Two Olympics (and a number of Olympic trials). A lot of time covering baseball and hockey while in D.C., with some Redskins mixed in. I can't imagine what my number might be but it is big.

Liut likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Me as well. The men's room is almost always empty at this time. Or at baseball games I'd just leave the press box and step outside the stadium for a bit, plenty of time to get back to my job before the first pitch.

ALWAYS prefer a recorded instrumental version of the anthem, or the Micro Tech band's version. Faster, no words for divas to mess up or forget, no tech problems with the microphone.

Donny in his element and Liut like this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Before the game, I do read a statement regarding expected fan conduct toward the officials and opposing teams, stating certain conduct can result in removal from the stadium without refund.

I don't see it as contradictory. They have a right to act like slapdicks. I have a right to call out conduct I feel offensive.

11. tapintoamerica

And if there are violations of that code of conduct, do you call them out as you say you have been known to do for disdain of the national anthem?

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Covering MLB gives you a couple hundred a year (incl. spring training). I wrote for more than 25 years before moving to the desk. MLB, college football and basketball (3-4 games a week), high school football, a bit of college baseball, a bunch of hockey, a few NFL.
    A lot.
    For MLB and especially football, I used the national anthem to put on my game face. I always got to the games early, talk to people, mess around, shoot the shit. But I needed full concentration once the game started and that began with the national anthem. You never know when the key play of the game will occur. It might be the first play and you better be ready. For basketball and hockey, you try to figure out the game plan (matchups, etc.) right away. "Please stand and remove your hat" was my signal to be ready.

exmediahack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted