1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Priests in El Paso yesterday:

[​IMG]

Trump in the same city last year with a baby whose parents were amongst 22 victims of a gun rampage:

[​IMG]

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It came from the NFL after WWII and other leagues adopted it. Honestly, I've always looked at the anthem as a reminder of the obligation we all have to make our country better reflect our ideals, not an ode to the dead.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Until 9/11, for the first 40 yrs of my life people ate hot dogs and slurped their beers during the anthem. It was not a huge deal; just take your hat off. All this patriotic anthem stuff is BS.

You know why Brees is so high and mighty on the anthem? Because he’s never really had any trying national times in his lifetime; he didn’t have WWII, Korea, Vietnam, the Cold War. Yeah I’ll be that old guy and say it, he’s had it easy, you throw a football big deal. A true patriot isn’t someone who salutes the flag after spending $300 to go to a football game, a true patriot relishes the freedom of free speech, free press, voting and understanding how the US used to be the beacon of freedom to the world.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

he just sees life from the top of the pyramid

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What I want from this...

Officer turns off body camera
    1 - warning
    2 - two week suspension
    3 - you’re fired

Officers report peer officer misconduct to group outside of law enforcement, and that group administers. No more blue wall.

Any public servant (police officer, military, teacher, county office clerk, etc...) with any ties ( social media, tats, emails, etc...) to any hate groups will be suspended then fired.

That would be a huge start.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You even been in the concessions line at a pro game when the anthem starts and the Aramark person stops? You ever see the exasperation of the person just about to get their food?

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

oh say can you see
    my beer getting warm
    the nachos grow cold
    and cheese sauce congealing

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Police reform has to be from within. Top down from a chief or mayor doesn't do anything. When you see who leads many of these police unions - usually the least politically astute, professional or polished - it makes you wonder.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you’re going to fake it, you might as well fake it in a way that doesn’t get you absolutely reamed.

If that’s the “fake” opinion he comes up with, again, we’re probably just back to him being immoral.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm the most pro-labor sonofabitch you'll ever meet, but I'm all for stripping the power of these police unions. Most of them don't vote blue anyways because their precious NRA has scared them shitless that the second amendment will go the way of the Edsel if they do.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted