1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and bigpern23 like this.
  2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

bigpern23 and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

NO WAY!

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Imma guess from flyover land with no sources that shit be bad and lines that are not to be crossed and chains of command to follow are being reaffirmed.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which question you're answering here, with your question. Because I was thinking the police doing anything about all the looting and destruction might not have helped anything, and, in fact, may have made an incendiary situation worse. I don't THINK so, and I hope that would not have been the case. But it certainly seems like it could have been, and that that might have contributed to police departments' general lack of response to the real trouble-makers.

I remember the same hands-off approach happening during the Rodney King riots, as well.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He knows that the pen is mightier than the sword under our rule of law. Unfortunately the people have to suffer at start and let a lawsuit disclose the lies.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

"I've been hearing a little bit of chatter in the Internet about voting versus protest, politics and participation versus civil disobedience and direct action," he recounted. "This is not an 'either or' — this is a 'both and' — to bring about real change we both have to highlight a problem and make people in power uncomfortable."

- Obama

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

“Yes, sir, I shot him in the head.”

“Why?”

“Well, sir, he wasn’t armed, but I didn’t want to roll the dice on whether he one day would be.”

10. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

I wonder if there's also on the part of some officers/departments a sentiment of, "You don't like the police; well, take a look at the alternative from whom we're (usually) protecting you." Making it a one side or the other issue (support the police 100% always or oppose them always) may be in the perceived self-interest of some police officers as well as some of their opponents.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

In my local grocery store yesterday and I go up to the deli counter to grabbed some pre sliced meat.

Old lady behind counter is talking to old man in front of counter and I hear a “tisk, tisk” tone to, “I hear they are going to do another demonstration today. When are they going to stop all of this?”

And I interject...

“When they stopped getting killed in the streets.”

That pretty much sums it up for me.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted