1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Good call about the pension - I didn't even consider that. My friend is at a D-1 state mid-major school, so he's going to be eligible to retire with a full pension by the time he's about 55. Will have both kids through school, tuition-free.

2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Friend of mine who works in the athletic department at a college that won’t be named is fond of saying “We’re the best-run high school in the Big East”

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the "Rebuilding America" initiative which I was told will publish at the end of May? The premise is that the coronavirus is over and it's time to Open Sesame.

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

You mean the "Let's force our overworked staffs currently dealing with furloughs to churn out additional content while they're already scrambling to properly cover a global pandemic" initiative?

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

No, actually I mean the "Let's let the underpaid, overworked staffs who don't have to deal with furloughs bite the bullet while the overpaid suits get a bonus unpaid vacation that they can afford and frankly welcome" initiative.

MovingOnOut, GAWalker and HanSenSE like this.
  6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LOL. Thanks, man.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Can anybody update us on the big newspaper chains and if they have layoffs/furloughs? That'd be Gatehouse, Gannett (or whatever Gannett is called), McClutcheon, Alden, etc.? Any organization doing well except the New York Times and Wash. Post? You'd think people would want to read, read read about COVID-19 and the riots.

9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

And the WSJ.

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if GannettHouse didn't continue furloughs in Q3

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I read the Boston Globe is up to 146,000 electronic subscribers at $30 a month and another 60,000 on introductory rates. They seem to be profitable.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think you can count on most of the furloughs continuing in order to pay off the loan.

Draft saved Draft deleted