1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Good. Hope it starts a trend.

The ACLU has filed a class-action lawsuit against Minnesota authorities on behalf of journalists whom state and local police were filmed beating, shooting, gassing, and arresting during protests against the police killing of George Floyd.

In an overnight filing, the ACLU claims the city of Minneapolis, the Minnesota State Patrol, and Minneapolis police violated the First and Fourth Amendment rights of journalists by preventing them from observing and recording the protests and by unlawfully restricting their movements, respectively. The authorities are also accused of arresting journalists without probable cause, violating their due process rights.​

Minneapolis Cops Sued for Shooting, Beating, and Gassing Over a Dozen Journalists

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Number 7

Why does it have to be a person?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

His timing is not off, per se, because it’s not going to be a different opinion In 2 months. He was asked a question and he answered It. I don’t personally agree with him at this point - I think it’s a bad opinion - but I think he’s pretty comfortable with what he said.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

That Cotton op-ed is going over like gangbusters in these parts. I always suspected there were wannabe Li Pengs in the upper echelons of government, and it's nice/awful to be proven correct.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Bet that comfort is short-lived.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Between the wrongful death lawsuit (that we all know is coming) and now this, Minneapolis will have to declare bankruptcy. I won't cry.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't mean this as a knock or a judgment in any way, but rather a genuine question -- Where is Colin Kaepernick during all of this? I'm not suggesting he should be taking a victory lap, but the world - the WORLD - has finally woken up to the cause he tried to spark four years ago and I haven't seen or heard a word from him yet.

I haven't seen so much as a "Kaepernick couldn't be reached for comment." I certainly may have missed it.

I'm curious as hell what he's doing right now.

11. Neutral Corner

So the City of Birmingham says that any protestors are confined to a park miles from downtown and City Hall, between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm, and they must have a permit. Unsurprisingly, the protestors don't think much of this. After curfew, the cops dropped the hammer.

Birmingham restricts demonstrations to W.C. Patton Park

12. Neutral Corner

I had seen a story to the effect that he was donating money to help get protestors out of jail. Don't remember seeing anything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted