1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Wes Unseld

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For me, Wes Unseld stood for playing the game the right way because when I got lazy and threw a one handed outlet pass, my HS coach would lecture about how Wes Unseld threw every pass with two hands. It would get to the point that it anyone did that or brought a rebound low where it could be stripped, he would just yell “Unseld”.

CD Boogie and garrow like this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There was also some guy who played QB for the Redskins in the 30s, 40s and 50s who was pretty good, too. Name of Sammy, I think.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, no question. Was thinking about it while walking and the two I'd seen play jumped to the forefront of my mind. But, hell, Johnson is probably first chair. What a career. And in discussion on Facebook, most agree Sammy Baugh is the fourth.

Johnson
    Ovechkin
    Baugh
    Unseld

Pretty strong. Room for some argument, but not much.

Tweener likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Deion Sanders

5. Moderator1

Also, my brother informed me that our father did the autopsy on Walter Johnson. And my sister-in-law used to work for Wes Unseld's father-in-law. Hell, I'm all kinds of connected.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

With Bobby Dandridge at small forward and Mitch Kupchak and Greg Ballard off the bench.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When Unseld first entered the league, he was throwing those outlets to Earl Monroe. Not a bad play. How to draw 'em up, coach!

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  8. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

And Kevin Porter and Phil Chenier in the backcourt.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  9. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Wish I could find online a very memorable profile of Unseld from his coaching days. Story (had to be Post or Sun) included an anecdote when he essentially chased one of his players around the arena he could fight him.

Overall point of the article was ... no one ... NO one ... was tougher than Unseld.

Former teammate Stan Love gave Kevin Love his middle name in honor of Unseld:
    Kevin Love’s Signature Pass Is Inspired by the Past

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I liked Wayne Embry for the same reason

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Strasburg is working on joining that group. Entire career with the team. MVP of a championship series ...

Moderator1 likes this.
  12. Moderator1

He's certainly on track - eager to see what the next few years bring.

Draft saved Draft deleted