1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical Question: Should journalists show solidarity or show restraint?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jun 2, 2020.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

#BlackoutTuesday is trending worldwide. Pro sports organizations, entertainment figures, large corporations, and more are all taking part in either raising awareness of racial injustice, donating to causes, or amplifying black voices.

What about individual journalists? We're taught to avoid voicing support for causes and candidates because of ethical concerns, an understandable position.

But are civil rights a different topic? I know much of the discussion around race has been made political, but at its core, is showing solidarity crossing an ethical line for journalists? Does it display bias? Or does staying silent risk alienating members of our communities?

Liut likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

If you're a full-time employee, I think you have to follow whatever guidelines your employer has structured for your online presence. If you have personal account did you use with a different name then I think that's fair game to express your own views

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I don't state political or societal opinions online other than here (and rarely do that). Personal preference.

Full disclosure … I'm in the middle of selling a book (sports). Doesn't make sense to piss off potential buyers.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Republicans buy sneakers, too.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I didn't partake in the blackout, but I didn't use my Twitter feed the way I usually do. Just kept it to stories I wrote and news I wanted to promote.

Liut likes this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm not selling shoes. But thank you for making me think of Ed O'Neill.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If it is a tell-all about the St. Louis Blues under the Harry Ornest ownership, I will pay any price for it.

Liut likes this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

You may or may not know me, but you've got the sport right.

Grab a copy of Bernie Federko and Jeremy Rutherford's "My Blues Note." Awesome read. It includes some Ornest stuff. Federko is pretty blunt. The worst part is the unfortunate end of his friendship with Brian Sutter. As they get older, my hope is those two men reconcile.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. I think this is one issue where the journalist -- and not his or her company -- should make the decision of what is or isn't ethical. If you want to speak out, good. If not, that's fine, too. You don't want to be the publisher that reprimands a reporter because they tweeted in support of civil rights.

Liut likes this.
  10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I've worked with Jeremy in prior stops, and read that book as soon as it came out. Loved it.

Had an interview with Federko about 13 months ago, and when we were having off the record small talk, I mentioned the book and the Sutter stuff in it.

I wish I hadn't brought it up. He was cool, but you could tell it really is still painful to him.

Liut likes this.
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm dumb, but not sure what you mean by the last sentence.

As you continue to research and write your book, I humbly suggest you stay away from provocative social-media posts. Unless maybe it involves race within sports. Mine didn't go anywhere near that.

As I, and others, have stated on the other thread, wish you all the best on your book.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for insight. I suppose it will be Bernie that has to make the first gesture. Brian's in Alberta raising cattle. If you haven't already seen the gallery ... I think it was a Toronto Star reporter who traveled to Alberta and took a bunch of pictures of Sutter out with his cattle. Reminds me so much of my family who are, still to this day, farmers.

In the end, those two men will always be tied at the hip and it sure would be nice if the hatchet is buried before one of them dies.

Draft saved Draft deleted