1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In the month of May, Arkansas went from 3,377 cases to 7,443. The Governor insists this is just a second peak. But if you look at a graph of confirmed cases, there has yet to be a dip. It just keeps steadily increasing.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Nah, I don't think you are.

I'm not thinking of the dry surface near the rim of a wine glass. I'm thinking of the edge of a glass still half full of beer with that greasy saliva slick on top, plus the condensation outside the glass on a humid day. If there's something nasty in or around that glass, it will be on someone's hands when it gets back into the kitchen.

And I'm not talking about the clean handle of a fork, I'm talking about the smear of cheesecake still on the fork when it's returned to the dishwasher. Or the spoon that was left in the ice cream sundae glass or coffee cup.

If you haven't worked as a dishwasher, it's impossible to understand the wet and humid environment in which they do their thing.

Added context: I run a cafe for a living; we served 140 people today. My staff is still healthy. We use disposables for everything at the moment, and we're going to keep it that way.

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I worked as a dish washer at Sizzler, so I understand what you mean.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hey I started as a dishwasher in a pretty good sized restaurant when I was a freshman in college. Nastiest job ever; people throwing dishes, silverware, pots and pans at you and then demanding replacements ASAP. Oh and the smells you took home in clothes and shoes? There was definitely restaurant only clothes. Day I got promoted to busboy was a definite step up (tips! and now I got to throw the stuff, not receive them!)

Yeah, we used high pressure water to first clean off and then a very hot dishwasher, but remnants were not unheard of, even after cleaning.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Windows seem to be a massive public health threat in Moscow.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes, and it’s one that can’t be resolved by switching to a *nix-based operating system.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have read it does not do well on food. The sliver of cheesecake might not be such a problem - everything else, granted indeed.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Summer camps opening mid-July in Jersey. How is that even possible?

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If we tell Trump the disease is really antifa-19, will he finally mobilize the Federal government to dominate it?

12. Neutral Corner

Who needs a testing czar anyway?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...e-updates-us/#link-ETBIC2KDOVFWRA5CNU3LIQ6NN4

"Adm. Brett Giroir, the Trump administration official tasked with overseeing coronavirus testing, announced on Monday that he will step down from his position later this month.

Giroir, who was tapped for the job in March, said a Monday meeting of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS that he would be “demobilized” in the coming weeks and returning to his previous role as assistant secretary for health in the Department of Health and Human Services.

HHS could not immediately be reached for comment early Tuesday, but a spokesperson confirmed the move to NPR and said that the agency does not plan to appoint a new testing czar.Giroir will “remain engaged” with testing and other related efforts, the statement said."

Draft saved Draft deleted