1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I was saddened by it.

You think you've seen some bad raw copy and then see one that knocks your socks off.

2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

SI has been asking for this for years. Thumbing their nose at the rest of the industry like elitist snobs for as long as I can remember

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

SI is on its fourth owner in the past few years. There is no elitist magazine anymore as you knew it.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

This has been a dirty secret in the business for many years- that some of the writers can't write.

I also feel bad for the guy getting blown up by this. Ten minutes of work by anybody would have avoided the embarrassment for him and for SI.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don't think Biff Pocoroba had this much written about him in his entire career. The notion that SI would devote anything more than a couple paragraphs to an inconsequential player in the first place surprises me.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

There were Biff Pocoroba stories around central and south Georgia at one time. I have heard and laughed at more than one.
    He coached travelling baseball teams and was quite the hardass about it. Like the cartoonish kind of youth baseball coach.

I am surprised by the number of guys from the '82 team that are gone. Off the top of my head: Pocoroba, Camp, Mahler, Linares, Pascual Perez, Donnie Moore.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And the gutting of editors at real publications (sorry, Braves Central) is making it even more obvious.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Let it out in the open. Publishers and other idiots who have systematically dismantled publications can find out the hard way.

I mean, you really think executives, publishers and beancounters have stopped for so much as a moment to look at what they have destroyed and how they have done so?

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Thought SI was going to be twice a month. Just got the issue with faux Phllie Phanatic and it
    says June 2020. Glad I haven't paid for a subscription in quite a while.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The wrong Biff died, sadly.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's 17 issues a year, counting the Swimsuit Issue.

12. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

It went twice a month in 2018. By the end of 2019 they announced they were going monthly. I'd ask they were even bothering going through the ruse but we all know the answer. They're wringing what money they can out of it before most customers figure out how terrible the product is. The instant that happens, they'll pull the plug.

Draft saved Draft deleted