1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furloughed sportswriter opens online course

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, May 26, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kerry Crowley, SF Giants beat writer for the Bay Area News Group, spent his furlough developing an online sports writing course. (Outing alert: I'm not Kerry).

Here's the link.

Mastering the art of sportswriting

And here's the Twitter thread explaining it all.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by, Kerry! #TheClassics

Good for him for doing this. Though Chapter 19 probably should be titled GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

wicked, SFIND, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  3. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

It's actually a great idea. Lots of 20-somethings will probably be interested, even as papers are foundering. There are still online sites to write for, although some of those jobs are drying up too. Older writers may even have interest in this course if they did not major in journalism or didn't have an opportunity to cover a pro or major college beat. Right now, 2020, there has never been a time in journalism where there is less coaching of writers, less contact with busy sports editors, worse morale and teamwork in sports departments, more one-man departments populated by the inexperienced and fewer opportunities to attend journalism seminars etc. So for $100 if you can actually learn some things you can't learn anywhere else and hear your craft discussed, then why not? I've never met Kerry Crowley and have no dog in the fight, but I like the idea. If I wasn't retired, I'd think about taking the course.

4. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

The same business acumen that got us where we are today

5. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Well, color me admired.

I spent mine on a beach in Florida avoiding giving any thought to this profession.

He’s a better man than I.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted