1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Question for cops reporters: By what time should a list of those arrested last night/early this morning in the Twin Cities be publicly available? It's a weekend and we're talking about more arrests than normal. And I know every jurisdiction is different and mileage may vary.
    Is it reasonable to anticipate such info might be available tonight? I never covered cops and never dealt with a mass-arrest situation.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A week ago - Coronavirus uncertainty,100k deaths, economic uncertainty, ah simpler times.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Maybe by this evening because it's a high-interest news event. PIO might have updates later because they'll be getting tons of questions about it, especially as they update information about the response to the violence. Under normal circumstances, you wouldn't know arrest numbers until Monday because the people who put the blotter together usually don't work weekends.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What I wouldn't give for a Quintus moment from the Secret Service if the protesters breached the fence and headed toward the Oval Office:

"Sheathe your weapons!"

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In Newport, RI, the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade would produce 50 to 100+ citations and arrests in a 24-hour span - the usual was anywhere from 0 to 10 arrests on a typical Friday or Saturday night. Usually for non-felony arrests, the turnaround time was a couple hours, but for that "parade" Saturday night we'd usually get the reports on Monday morning.

Given the chaos of the situation in Minnesota, a couple days turnaround time wouldn't be ridiculous, but my trust in those institutions is kind of low at this point too. I'm positive that there are people who legitimately deserved to be arrested, but come court time X weeks or months from now, I imagine a ton of these cases are just going to be thrown out because of poor evidence gathering or poor judgement calls by arresting officers.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Piggybacking on this to add that while I had my most experience in Newport - tourist city with population of 24,000 - the experience can be wildly different from department to department. Newport, the PIO didn't work weekends, but a lieutenant would be designated as a press liaison, so to speak. In Middletown, they'd print out arrest reports as they were completed, and you could just pick them up from a bin in dispatch. Smaller towns would have a designated time each week, each day, and it was a pain in the ass to get them to help you any other time.

And of course - In these days of newspaper cutbacks, you're not getting as much as you did X years ago, because it is way harder to cultivate a relationship. Even when I started as an intern in the early 2000s, there was more open communication because certain officers got used to you and trusted you. By the time I left journalism in that area in 2019, there was a kind of eye-rolling as I brought in yet another person to introduce to them, because responsibilities had shifted at the paper yet again.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I can tell you that when I was UConn in the mid-to-late 90s, the Daily Campus' police logs made for some fine reading the Tuesday after Spring Weekend.

garrow, Neutral Corner and sgreenwell like this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Still wishing FATUS gets Covid.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

By extension, didn’t Trump just admit MAGA people aren’t African American?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Eh, if I say, "my city loves black people," it doesn't mean all the residents are white.

On the contrary, it likely means it's welcoming and populated with many blacks.

Of course MAGA isn't, but . . .

Truly a classic example how something can be read in opposite ways.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Others=very fine people

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Trumpy lies ... Drink!

garrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.