1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

oy

Alma likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Important and historic as can be, this march did little to change the course of events over the past three years...which is why I'm convinced we must take our medicine as a nation and work our way through these kinds of protests instead, because they are our best chance at making the structural change that will improve our nation.

[​IMG]

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Your one note posting makes Frederick look versatile.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That's a very good point.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You want to stop these riots? Quick making little deals in the name of political expediency. Make the hard choices and don't kick the can down the road for someone else. Like Congress seems to have done forever. Locally, take on the police unions and weed out the bad cops. There probably also needs to be discussion about a drastic overhaul of police tactics and procedures, and even mindset. The "us vs. them" mindset needs to be taken out at the roots.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't say you attacked me.

Your question was, "I just want to understand what can people do to get your attention and effect change?"

How am I supposed to read that?

I had no clue why you think anyone needs to get my attention. Which is why I said you don't know me.

I don't doubt you're sincere, but when I read your post I saw a bunch of mealy generalizations.

A celebrity kneeling on the sidelines was offensive? To who? Donald Trump and some rednecks?

Don't tell me about "marginalized communities." Tell me specifically what people are having their civil rights violated or are being wronged, and how, and I think there is way more ability for people to act constructively in terms of where America still isn't living up to its ideals.

We have a problem with way too many black men ending up dead at the hands of cops, year after a year. That is where the focus should be. Vote. Christ, if even half the people who were in the streets last night demanded different leaders than the ones we keep getting to choose from, and just showed up to vote, they could have at least some effect.

Demand accountability from your elected leaders. Stand up for your constitutional protections, insist on limits on the police. If that doesn't work, civil disobedience.

I brought up MLK Jr. in my other post. When he marched from Selma to Montgomery, he wasn't making mealy proclamations about "change" or asking for "answers" without clearly identifying injustices. He was protesting discriminatory laws that were designed to disenfranchise millions of black people. He was fighting for the right to vote.

Sit-in protests weren't protesting everything and nothing the way a lot of protests do now. They were fighting Jim Crow laws that made blacks second-class citizens in restaurants. They were fighting segregation, and they took the protest right to the place they faced segregation, to make people take notice

When Rosa Parks refused to go to the back of the bus, she was pretty damned specific about how she was being wronged and what she wanted.

Putting aside the actual motivations of a bunch of idiots who found an excuse last night to riot and loot and steal and cause destruction, there is nothing about that kind of behavior that is going to address a problem we have with police brutality in US cities. It's not only misguided at best, but it adds another problem that hurts other people on top of it.

Alma and HanSenSE like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Trump hasn't shown this much enthusiasm about anything minority related since he pushed the Trump Tower taco bowls.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think, to some degree, it's pretty guided. Its aim is chaos. Everything and nothing, as you said.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm ready to stipulate possible stirring of the pot by any number of actors here, left or right. There's simply no way to tell what groups or single looneys might be out there doing.

I suspect that there are a number right wing actors out there, yeah, certainly. Some of them are just idiot white boys out there playing at being all street.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted