1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It was asked earlier what could police have done earlier to prevent the state we're in, implying just letting vandals run wild would have been worse. Well one thing that could have been done is to announce a criminal inquiry into the death to explore murder charges and/or flat out arresting the officer before protests started. It is beyond clear there was reckless actions by the officer that led to the death of George Floyd.

Also, if police wouldn't do stupid things like drive by protesters—that are not in their way—spraying pepper spray from out of the car.

Now, you have to restore order as best you can without further injury, loss of life and minimal property damage. Officials need to reach out to community leaders to start to bring calm.

Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I almost think some of this is modeled behavoir. Someone gets killed in a neighborhood - the local folk say "this is a quiet close-knit community" on TV - so that's almost become a cliched answer. I think the same thing with this stuff. After the Rodney King verdict came down, the local TV choppers started circling the Watts neighborhood almost begging for violence. Anyone think the TV crews would have stayed very long if nothing happened? Anyone seeing much coverage of peaceful protests or the community effort to clean up from the night before in Minneapolis? TV skews reality therefore reality becomes skewed.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Linda Tirado is the reporter who was injured Friday night in Minneapolis.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Damn it. Just.....damn it.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So first off, you don't know me. But I was as outraged as anyone when I saw that video of a cop killing that man, just as I was when Eric Garner was killed in NY (closer to where I am).

Putting that aside, though, tell me specifically what the change you want to effect is.

Speaking more generally about protests -- any form of protest that someone feels is important -- I am always for peaceful protest, and I am as big an advocate of freedom of assembly as you will ever meet.

I am always in favor of civil disobedience when people are willing to accept the consequences of that civil disobedience. ... if they feel nothing else has worked. I think Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. were extraordinary men, for that reason, and I think their methods proved to be very effective in changing attitudes.

But wanton rioting and looting and stealing and destroying random people's property? That is such an egregious violation of the social contract that no, I don't find it an acceptable form of "protest."

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No one is looting the Grower's Pub.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10,000 expected in downtown Denver this afternoon.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The following is a recap of the protest in Denver last night from a friend who was there. 6D837AF8-0CAF-4317-AEA1-8D27DC4F155E.jpeg 774A5B77-CCDB-4647-9599-95906D22EE3A.jpeg 774A5B77-CCDB-4647-9599-95906D22EE3A.jpeg

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bingo.

No one holds T-Mobile responsible for what is being said on their phones.

Of course, T-Mobile distributes all calls evenly, while the social media channels' algorithms decide who gets to see what...that said, those algorithms are programmed to give people what they want to see. It's not Facebook's fault that assholes wanna hangout in an asshole echochamber.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

And you don't know me either. I didn't attack you. I asked a question.

Maybe that is part of the problem. I asked you a question and you took it as an attack. I want an honest answer to the question of what can the black community do to move things forward.

President Obama and his administration made a lot of strides for all marginalized communities, but unfortunately a lot of his work is being undone by the Racist In Chief.

A celebrity kneeling on the sidelines was offensive. Wearing a tshirt pregame was ineffective. Speaking at a press conference was told,"wrong time and place."

So what will be unoffensive, effective, and the right time and place.

I abhor the violence and destruction. I don't believe it's the answer, but what is?

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted