1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Minnesota governor says 'white supremacists and drug cartels.'

Walz: White supremacist groups, drug cartels suspected at Minneapolis riots, but reports still unconfirmed

Likely some terrible combination.

They've mishandled every step of this. Incredible.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's where you (and MLK Jr.) lose me, @Azrael

I would guess with near certainty that Victor Hugo would not have understood what we are seeing right now.

This is not Jean Valjean.

These are not people stealing a loaf of bread to feed their seven children.

It's not even 1967 or 1968, when we had Jim Crow laws still in this country.

Those rioters are causing wanton destruction and indiscriminately hurting innocent people.

There is no justifiable reason to vandalize someone's property or to burn their store to the ground in 2020, and if you do it, you are responsible for your shitty behavior.

Just as that cop is responsible for his actions.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They've mishandled a lot of it, but I'm not sure what folks would have tolerated earlier this week. People flipped out over the use of tear gas on the first night.

Maybe tonight the protest/uprising/riot/whatever is quelled by the presence and force necessary to quell it. I'm just not sure many of the worst protesters give a whit about justice.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Explaining something isn't the same as excusing it or endorsing it.

I think Hugo would recognize the mechanisms of repression that cause this kind of hopelessness and rage.

I also think a lot of what we're seeing is stoked and made worse by the kind of radical bad actors we're talking about.

Smallpotatoes and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As long as there have been protests in my lifetime, there have been persons attracted to them not for a cause, but for the chance to break things. It doesn't take too many of them to have a bad effect far out of proportion to their numbers. That's how crowds work. Likewise, it doesn't take many cops who joined the force to have a chance at what they think is heroic action, are dismayed to learn most police work is deadly dull, and who relish the chance to get their freak on in a tense situation. Crowds of cops work like other crowds, too.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The white people coming in to stir up shit? No. No, they don’t give a whit about justice because they know the power structure will let them slip away back to the safe suburbs and rural areas from whence they came.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Repped for real talk

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Which is why the police need to be there to stop it. At some point, you say "duly noted" to the Hugo quotes and you stop it. Lady with the bullhorn isn't going to win that exchange.

I'd love to see the church - men in the church - out there trying to stop it, but, heh, forget it. We're not up for it, haven't been up for that in a long time. Evangelicals would have to have $16 masks, a beard trim and all their blog thoughts in a row before they'd show up to stop an anarchist.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is all good philosophy, and insightful thinking on the part of someone who was one of the most thoughtful people ever. And you never saw him looting, stealing or starting fires -- not even for the sake of shock and awe. I can actually almost understand the taking of goods when the getting is good, and easy. I will never understand the wanton, pointless destruction and violence. That is nothing but the stuff of all the non-thinkers -- and there are a lot of them -- in these scenes.

WriteThinking: Besides, these actions may indeed shock whites, or even more thoughtful, law-abiding blacks. But again, they will do nothing to address the problems. They will only exacerbate them.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

There is good in the world

BTExpress likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, he doesn't seek to excuse it. He seeks to explain it.

"a riot is the language of the unheard." - MLK jr

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

These white shit-stirrers are not anarchists. They are not some randos just out looking for a good time.

Draft saved Draft deleted