1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Given the NYC rates, I think HVAC might end up being among the biggest.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If that study about C19 remaining in the air for up to three hours, HVAC could certainly play a role.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't answer this, but whatever you are attributing to randomness is not randomness.

Off the top of my head, the practices in schools in South Korea, even with attempts at keeping the kids distanced, probably differ a great deal from the practices in schools in Norway or Denmark.

Then there is the obvious that South Korea has about 10 times the population of either Norway or Denmark, and this is a virus looking for hosts. The more people, the more potential hosts. Which is largely about how much people in a place interact, and the population density in South Korea is way greater than it is in either Norway or Denmark. I don't know, but you may have more people per home on average in South Korea than you do in those other countries. It can be all kinds of things like that, which might make South Korea a more fertile place for an outbreak to get footing again. So you might be comparing situations that aren't the same. Yes, there are kids going to school in all three of those places now. But unless you can control for how much interaction with other people those kids might be having (which is how the virus is transmitted), not only in school but when they aren't at the school, and in what ways, you can't make comparisons.

For me, that isn't randomness. It's people trying to shoehorn the virus into their own constructs.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. The Big Ragu

Just saw this after I posted. These kinds of things, too.

We should be trying to learn about environments that are hospitable for the virus to transmit.

But we shouldn't be looking for broad brush rules that we think will stem it and then attribute it to randomness when the virus doesn't seem to be adhering to our simplistic constructs.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

More coherent data might be one of the benefits of a robust national testing and tracking effort. Maybe not.

Still lots of confusing information to sift through. We don't even know if it's seasonal yet, like many respiratory viruses.

My big fear is that we mistake a summer lull in transmission for some kind of success and get swamped by a giant second wave this fall.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Jerry-atric likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

Well, people are acting like idiots and we are in a leadership vacuum, so I can't speak for how sentiment is going to swing.

But there is no fucking way anyone with two neurons, who has had their eyes and ears open, can be unprepared for a giant second wave if there is indeed a summer lull.

Epidemiologists -- the people who have the most factual knowledge about infectious diseases (but why listen to the insights they have to offer, right?) -- have been warning about that over and over again.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I’m well aware of all of that. This was my point. It’s not like war deaths or anything else.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The subway and bus systems of NYC are the perfect way to spread the virus.

No city in America has a better way to spread it.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The subways of Seoul, Tokyo and Taipei indicate that this need not be the case.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Public transportation is going to be a continuing problem. Over here, a basic part of the economic model for London is to shove as many folks - tourists and residents - into the subway as humanly possible. Combined with doing the same for the buses and trains.

What do you do about that? Beats me. Guiding more people into biking/walking/taking their car will only help so much.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not all subway systems are the same. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

britwrit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted