1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

That is madness.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

those other unions are also made up of mostly female employees so fuck them.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

#thecouphasalreadyhappened

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

R = Refuse accountability
    D = Deny accountability

And teachers get shot, too!

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And he burries his head deeper into the sand.

People do not say "I can't breathe" in that situation as some sort of ruse. It never happens. Ever. People are not that manipulative.

The worst that could happen is the guy stands up and you take him to the squad car. If he's cuffed there is no way he can attack you.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The police are a para-military force and must be regularly reined in by the civilian authority.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I wonder if a big city mayor would go to cops and say, "you'll get the huge raises you deserve in your next contract, but all those provisions that protect you from consequences for fucking up will go" and then see what happens. 100 percent the cop unions would reject it. In that case, I think a mayor would be justified in simply firing the whole department and starting over. The unions would be declaring that being above the law is more important to police than pay and benefits.

OscarMadison, Driftwood and TigerVols like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Let me add to my last post. In nice affluent suburban Lexington, Ma., the primary responsibilities of the police are 1. traffic and traffic accidents. That's also 2 through 5. Then come burglaries, and then comes breaking up pot and beer parties by teens in town conservation land. Last is dealing with the poor unfortunates who're homeless and mentally ill and get off the bus they've ridden for miles in the town center. Our contract with our police force is so generous that in the last negotiation, the union said it had run out of demands. Positions are in very high demand and hiring standards higher still. It's not Lexington's fault, but we have the cops who're needed in Boston, Cambridge, Fall River, etc. (Let me add that as big city police forces go, Boston's is pretty good).

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have to say that these past few days have been just a kick in the nuts. I have always had a perhaps misplaced faith in our better natures and the leadership of the government. Just terrible for the arc of the moral universe in so many ways.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

CNN getting stormed by protesters in Atlanta. Cops pepper spraying and beating people with batons at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

This might be a very bad night in a lot of cities.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It does seem like the police and the people are a little more willing to listen to each other in Boston than a lot of places.

12. Michael_ Gee

It was like 30 years ago, but the Charles Stuart case really shook the BPD. Also, there was very close collaboration between the cops and the black clergy in the early '90s about gang violence.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted