1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If I'm doing the math correctly, this means that 54% of deaths outside of New York State are in nursing homes.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sorta sums up the health care crisis in America that two nursing homes in one of the ritziest spots in the country had an 86-year-old doctor providing care.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's only ritzy in the summer. Nine months a year it's a small isolated New England town. And I'd bet that doctor has been the GP for some of those patients for decades, long before they reached nursing home age.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Weight, hypertension, diabetes, and an overall lower percentage of health insurance and medical care.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My parents' GP was practicing into his 80s, he only stopped when the Barnabas hospital system in NJ barred non-system GPs from practicing in the hospital. They hired non-MD hospitalists for admission, patient management and discharge.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You want to see a fun map? If you live in a "green" county, you are among the counties accounting for less than one-third of the nation's COVID-19 deaths.
    county.png

8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I disagree with this map.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm extrapolating somewhat from the state map we both are familiar with. Hope my extrapolating isn't far off, since the county one did not come with a key that I could see. And I can't find its origin. Wish I could.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Does it? You think some 34-year-old wants that job?

I think it sums up nursing homes. America's white folks send their olds somewhere to die because the youngs have too cool lives to live in their 800-square-foot flats.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I would rather see a “per capita” map.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You really just can't help yourself, can you @Alma?

Draft saved Draft deleted