1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It’s Friday. Be ready for a news dump of more college sports program executions.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Beloved NYC sports bar is done.

4. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

And two sailing teams were upgraded to varsity status.

5. tapintoamerica

Right. Forgot about them. So Brown's total of sports will be 29. Insane.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The best way to get into the Ivy League schools (assuming you have the basic academic skills to do so, don't need perfect SATs or anything close) is to play one of those "minor" sports, especially if you're a girl. At Williams, an Ivy equivalent, I think something like 25 percent of the student body plays a varsity sport of some kind.

7. tapintoamerica

Am I reading this correctly? Did 29 of the 30 MLB teams make a profit last year? And is their average profit $51 million?
    The Business Of Baseball

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's so sad that after making millions of dollars hand over fist for about the past 15 years, the one time the owners might have to break even or show a loss for the year, it's too much for them.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Affirmative action for rich kids who don’t meet academic requirements. Beyond me why being able to throw a javelin for a shitty D3 school should count for anything in terms of admissions.

10. tapintoamerica

Again if I'm doing the math correctly, even the most lavish spender on minor league players will pay out about $1.8 million across the entire developmental system. This assumes fielding seven affiliates (AAA, AA, A+, A, short-season A, domestic Rookie and Dominican Rookie) with an average of 27 players per roster. And some teams can't guarantee they'll pay the meager wages beyond this week?
    Among those with no guarantees so far: five of the 10 highest valued teams according to Forbes. Of those five, the lowest profit margin appears to belong to the Walgreens, who still had a $27,000,000 profit margin and who are protected by Major League Baseball in their ongoing litigation against the Orioles. They have nothing to fear. Even in a year with no revenue.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That sucks. They are going to need to find a new spot for the Irish-American Baseball Hall of Fame.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ivies admit to fill niches in their programs, athletic, artistic, what have you. My son didn't have anywhere near the grades you're supposed to have for Harvard. He was a solid B+ student, no more. But Harvard waitlisted him just the same because one of his interests was comedy writing and performance. Got to staff that Lampoon. In the end, he went to BU. This has been going on forever. As I've said on college sports threads, my freshman class at Wesleyan in 1967 had four of the top recruits in the country, and a very fine string quartet they were, too.

Webster, HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted